U substitution and partial integration

I went back and looked at my post and I never did say what the correct substitution was. It's u = 5 - x. So, if I may, I'll retrace the steps:\int_1^5 (6-2x)\sqrt{5-x}dx = \int_1^5 (2(5-x) - 4)\sqrt{5-x}dxThen, if u = 5 - x, du = -dx, and the limits become u = 0 to u = 4. The integral becomes-\int_0^4 (2u - 4)\sqrt{u}duI would like to point out that an easier way to evaluate
James889
Hey,

I need to evaluate [tex]\int_{1}^{5}(6-2x)\sqrt{5-x}dx[/tex]

So.
[tex]\tex{Let ~~u} = 6-2x~~ \tex{then}~~ du = 2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}~du = dx[/tex]
New limits:
[tex]x = 5 \longrightarrow u = -4[/tex]
[tex]x = 1 \longrightarrow u = 4[/tex]

now, [tex]-\frac{1}{2}\int^{4}_{-4} u*\sqrt{5-x}[/tex]

and now for the partial integration.

[tex] u \sqrt{5-x}~~ - \int 1\times \sqrt{5-x} = u \sqrt{5-x} ~~-\frac{2}{3}(5-x)^{3/2}[/tex]

Substituting in my limits of integration:
[tex](6-2*4) \times \sqrt{5-4} ~~-\frac{2}{3}(5-4)^{3/2} - (6-2*(-4)) \times \sqrt{5-(-4)} ~~-\frac{2}{3}(5-(-4))^{3/2} == \tex{wrong!}[/tex]

what is it that I am doing wrong?
//James

Physics news on Phys.org
James889 said:
what is it that I am doing wrong?
//James

Once you've established a relation between u and x, partial integration is not possible (since you are assuming one is constant as the other varies, contradicting the established relation).

Since the original integrand is explicit in x and you're changing into the context of u, you need to change the entire integral into the context of u (nothing in x left behind).

My suggestion is to use the substitution u = 5 - x and go from there. You'll end up with an integrand involving fractional powers of u. The solution should come out to 64/15.

--Elucidus

You have two mistakes in your substitution, one of them being a sign error.
[tex]{Let ~~u} = 6-2x~~ \tex{then}~~ du = 2[/tex]
With this substitution du = - 2dx

Also, I would split the integral into two integrals, like so:
[tex]\int_{1}^{5}(6-2x)\sqrt{5-x}dx = \int_1^5 6\sqrt{5 - x}dx ~~-~~ 2\int_1^5 x\sqrt{5 -x}dx[/tex]
The first integral is straightforward; the second can probably be done with an ordinary substitution.

A final note: what you're calling "partial integration" is actually called "integration by parts," in English. Another integration technique is called "partial fractions decomposition." Similar name, but otherwise very different.

Actually, you missed something.

If [itex]u=6-2x[/itex] then [itex]x=\frac{6-u}{2}[/itex]

So your integral would be:
[tex]
-\frac{1}{2}\int^{4}_{-4} u*\sqrt{5-\frac{6-u}{2}}du
[/tex]

Now use integration by parts.

Regards.

I see now that you were integrating by parts (as was mentioned in the previous post). Partial integration usually refers to integrating a mutlivaraite function with respect to one of its independent variables a la

[tex]\text{If }\frac{\partial}{\partial x}F(x,y) = f(x,y) \text{ then } \int f(x,y) \partial x = F(x, y)[/tex]

The original attempt letting u = 6 - 2x leads to:

[tex]du = -2dx \Rightarrow dx = \frac{du}{-2}[/tex]

[tex]x=1,5 \Rightarrow u=4,-4[/tex]

[tex]=\int_4^{-4} u \sqrt{5-x}\;\frac{du}{-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-4}^4 u \sqrt{5-x}\;{du}\;\;\text{(Note transpose of boundaries)}[/tex]

then attempting to apply integration by parts one gets

[tex]v = u \Rightarrow dv = du[/tex]

[tex]dw = \sqrt{5-x}\;{du} \Rightarrow w = \text{ ?}[/tex]

The expression for dw is in terms of x and we're trying to find an anti-derivative with respect to u. This cannot be done without changing the context to fully in x or in u. Mixed contexts lead to errors. I suspect this came about because the differential factor (du) got lost somewhere along the way.

Sorry for the original confusion.

--Elucidus

Why don't you try u=5-x instead. That makes x=5-u and it's easy to work out 6-2x in terms of u. It's really much simpler.

Dick said:
Why don't you try u=5-x instead. That makes x=5-u and it's easy to work out 6-2x in terms of u. It's really much simpler.

That is probably a good idea.

So let [tex]u = 5-x ~~\tex{then}~~ du = -1dx[/tex]
New limits:
[tex]x = 5 \longrightarrow u = 0[/tex]
[tex]-1\int_{0}^{4}(-6+2u)du~~\times~~u^{1/2}[/tex]

Does that look reasonable ?

Last edited:
James889 said:
That is probably a good idea.

So let [tex]u = 5-x ~~\tex{then}~~ du = -1dx[/tex]
New limits:
[tex]x = 5 \longrightarrow u = 0[/tex]
[tex]-1\int_{0}^{4}(-6+2u)du~~\times~~u^{1/2}[/tex]

Does that look reasonable ?

6-2x doesn't turn into (-6+2u) if x=5-u, does it? Check that. And you make me nervous writing the u^(1/2) outside the integral, put it back in and multiply the product out. Then integrate.

Dick said:
6-2x doesn't turn into (-6+2u) if x=5-u, does it? Check that. And you make me nervous writing the u^(1/2) outside the integral, put it back in and multiply the product out. Then integrate.

Sorry i had a proper brainfart.

[tex](6-2x)~~ \text{in terms of}~~ u~~\text{is}~2u-4[/tex]

Im also a little confused about the notation. Is the correct notation

[tex]2u-4du[/tex] or just [tex]2u-4[/tex] ?

//Jones

James889 said:

//Jones
2u - 4 is correct. There are actually two sets of equations: one that defines the relationship between dx and du, and one that defines the relationship between x and u.

If u = 5 - x, then du = -dx
u = 5 - x <==> x = 5 - u ==> 6 - 2x = 6 - 2(5 - u) = 2u - 4

James889 said:

//Jones

The correct notation is the integral of (2u-4)*u^(1/2)*du. Expand the product and integrate term by term.

Quick comment. The limits of integration are reversed. The limits were x = 1 to x = 5. The new "u" values should be u = 4 to u = 0. Limits of integration are not always in ascending order. You can interchange them later by changing the sign of the integral.

--Elucidus

So.
[tex](2u-4)*u^{1/2} = 2u-4u^{1/2}[/tex]

Integrating term by term gives [tex]u^2-\frac{3}{8}u^{3/2}[/tex]

[tex]~~\left|_{0} ^{4}\left -u^2-\frac{3}{8}u^{3/2}[/tex]

And the answer is 4.

Last edited:
James889 said:
So.
[tex](2u-4)*u^{1/2} = 2u-4u^{1/2}[/tex]

Integrating term by term gives [tex]u^2-\frac{3}{8}u^{3/2}[/tex]

[tex]~~\left|_{0} ^{4}\left -u^2-\frac{3}{8}u^{3/2}[/tex]

And the answer is 4.

Slight mistake:

[tex](2u-4)*u^{1/2} = 2u^{3/2}-4u^{1/2}[/tex]

The answer, as I mentioned in an earlier post, should be 64/15.

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
Slight mistake:

[tex](2u-4)*u^{1/2} = 2u^{3/2}-4u^{1/2}[/tex]

The answer, as I mentioned in an earlier post, should be 64/15.

--Elucidus

oops, i always mix up the exponential rules =/

1. What is the purpose of "U substitution" in integration?

U substitution is a technique used in integration to simplify an integral by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one. This makes it easier to solve the integral and often leads to a more elegant solution.

2. How do you choose the "U" in U substitution?

The "U" in U substitution is chosen based on the derivative of the expression inside the integral. It should be a part of the expression that can be easily substituted and will result in a simpler integral.

3. What is "partial integration" and when is it used?

Partial integration, also known as integration by parts, is a method used to solve integrals of the form ∫uv dx. It is used when the integral involves a product of two functions and can't be solved using other integration techniques.

4. How do you decide which function to differentiate and which one to integrate in partial integration?

In partial integration, the decision of which function to differentiate and which one to integrate is based on the acronym "LIATE", which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions. The function that comes first in this list is the one to be differentiated, and the one that comes last is the one to be integrated.

5. Can I use both "U substitution" and "partial integration" in the same integral?

Yes, it is possible to use both U substitution and partial integration in the same integral. In fact, it is often necessary to use both techniques in order to simplify and solve the integral completely.