U-substitution, definite integral, trig function

In summary, the problem involved solving for the integral of sin(x)^2cos(x) from 0 to pi/2. The individual tried using u-substitution and then evaluated the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus. However, there was an error in the notation and the correct solution should have been 1/3. It was also suggested to check if the integrand is an obvious derivative and to use balloontegration as a visual aid. Finally, the importance of using correct notation was emphasized.
NecroWinter
problem: sin(x)^2cos(x)
integrate from 0 to pi/2the way I tried this is by making u = sin, and then working with du to make cos cancel out
the next thing I did was check my new intervals by plugging in pi/2 and 0 into the u function (becomes 0 to 1)
next, I took the anti derivative of u, which came to (u^3)/3((u^3)/3))-((u^3)/3)
sin0=0
sin pi/2 = 1(0^3)/3 - (1^3)/3 = -1/3except, wolfram alpha gives me 1/3.What happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: usubstitution, definite integral, trig function

You actually evaluate first 1 and later 0.

Cheap observation: we're integrating a non-negative function. How could have a negative integral?

NecroWinter said:
integrate from 0 to pi/2the way I tried this is by making u = sin, and then working with du to make cos cancel out
the next thing I did was check my new intervals by plugging in pi/2 and 0 into the u function (becomes 0 to 1)
next, I took the anti derivative of u, which came to (u^3)/3((u^3)/3))-((u^3)/3)
sin0=0
sin pi/2 = 1(0^3)/3 - (1^3)/3 = -1/3except, wolfram alpha gives me 1/3.What happened?

OK, first of all, $\displaystyle \int{u^2\,du}$ is NOT $\displaystyle \frac{u^3}{3} - \frac{u^3}{3}$, it's just $\displaystyle \frac{u^3}{3} + C$.

Second, Krizalid is correct in stating that the definite integral is evaluated by subtracting the lower limit from the upper limit, not the other way around as you have done.

Prove It said:
OK, first of all, $\displaystyle \int{u^2\,du}$ is NOT $\displaystyle \frac{u^3}{3} - \frac{u^3}{3}$, it's just $\displaystyle \frac{u^3}{3} + C$.

Second, Krizalid is correct in stating that the definite integral is evaluated by subtracting the lower limit from the upper limit, not the other way around as you have done.
im aware that the antiderivative is that, but what you are citing is me skipping a step and applying the fundamental theorem of calculus before entering the numbers.

NecroWinter said:
im aware that the antiderivative is that, but what you are citing is me skipping a step and applying the fundamental theorem of calculus before entering the numbers.

Skipping steps is one thing, writing something that is incorrect is another thing entirely.

What you should have written is this...

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^1{u^2\,du} &= \left[\frac{u^3}{3}\right]_0^1 \\ &= \frac{1^3}{3} - \frac{0^3}{3} \end{align*} \]

NecroWinter said:
sin0=0

Unrelated to what everyone else has posted, but you should always look at the integrand to see if it is an obvious derivative. In this case the integrand is obviously the derivative of \( \frac{1}{3}\sin^3(x) \).

CB

Just in case a picture helps...

View attachment 43

... where (key in spoiler) ...

View attachment 46

... is the chain rule. Straight continuous lines differentiate downwards (integrate up) with respect to the main variable (in this case x), and the straight dashed line similarly but with respect to the dashed balloon expression (the inner function of the composite which is subject to the chain rule).

The general drift is...

View attachment 45

Don't integrate - balloontegrate!

Hi guys - most grateful for your toleration if it still extends... any chance of enabling links? Or a way to enlarge pics? And is there a spoiler code?

Attachments

• twentyseven.jpg
    twentyseven.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 37
  • twentyseven.jpg
    twentyseven.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 45
  • twentyseven.jpg
    twentyseven.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 41
  • intChain.jpg
    intChain.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 39
  • chain.png
    chain.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 40

Prove It said:
Skipping steps is one thing, writing something that is incorrect is another thing entirely.

What you should have written is this...

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_0^1{u^2\,du} &= \left[\frac{u^3}{3}\right]_0^1 \\ &= \frac{1^3}{3} - \frac{0^3}{3} \end{align*} \]
I wrote:
"I took the anti derivative of u, which came to (u^3)/3"

the part you are quoting is being misunderstood.

thanks everyone

I wrote:
"I took the anti derivative of u, which came to (u^3)/3"

the part you are quoting is being misunderstood.

thanks everyone
Yes, and the part that was quoted was $\frac{u^3}{3}- \frac{u^3}{3}$.
I hope you understand that that is very bad notation that is easily misunderstood.
What did you mean by that?
In any case, if F is an anti-derivative of f, then
$\int_a^b f(x)dx= F(b)- F(a)$, not F(a)- F(b).

1. What is u-substitution and when should it be used?

U-substitution is a method used to simplify the integration of complex functions by replacing a variable with a simpler expression. It is typically used when an integral contains a function within a function, such as a polynomial within a trigonometric function.

2. How do you perform u-substitution?

To perform u-substitution, you must first identify the variable to be replaced, also known as the "u" variable. Then, you must find the derivative of this variable and substitute it into the integral, along with the "du" term. This will allow you to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable, making it easier to solve.

3. What is a definite integral and how is it different from an indefinite integral?

A definite integral is an integral that has specific limits of integration, or boundaries, whereas an indefinite integral does not have any limits. Essentially, a definite integral is used to find the exact value of an area under a curve, while an indefinite integral is used to find a general formula for the area.

4. How do trigonometric functions affect definite integrals?

Trigonometric functions can be used to represent various real-world phenomena and are commonly found in integrals. When dealing with definite integrals involving trigonometric functions, it is important to convert them to their equivalent forms and use u-substitution to simplify the integration process.

5. Can u-substitution be used for any type of integral?

No, u-substitution can only be used for integrals that involve a function within a function. It cannot be used for integrals involving exponential or other types of functions. In these cases, other integration techniques, such as integration by parts, must be used.