1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

{u1, ,uk} is linearly dependent iff {[u1]_B, [uk]B} is.

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a vector space V and its basis B = {v1, v2, ..., vn}, I was asked to prove that:
    a group of vectors {u1,...,uk} in V is linearly dependent if and only if {[u1]B,...[uk]B} is linearly dependent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I proved that a group of vectors {u1,...,uk} in V is linearly independent if and only if {[u1]B,...[uk]B} is linearly independent. Following the principles of logic, that would be the same as proving dependence, right?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and it is an easy one-liner to prove it instead of just declare it.

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    So, in general, proving (A if and only if B) is equivalent to, and hence may be proven by, proving (-A if and only if -B), correct?

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. But declaring it doesn't make it so. If I were handing in a homework proof of A iff B and I instead handed in a proof that -A iff -B, I wouldn't just stop there even though you might consider the conclusion to be trivial from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook