UFO Sighting in Florida: Is it Real?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: It looks like the "google" lettering is an artifact of the digital manipulation that was done to the picture to make it look like an "orb".In summary, there are two spherical objects in the Google satellite images. One is a weather anomaly and the other is a military target.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is one hitting the net.

http://www.googlesightseeing.com/2005/05/12/ufo

I have no idea if this is really interesting or not. I'm sure that plenty of opinions can be found at this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think its an anomoly in the system. Google uses Keyhole and i have Keyhole and i just checked it out and i got this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Veto1024/keyhole.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At first glance it seems like a weather balloon or an out-of-focused spherical object (or perhaps just a regular hot-air balloon), but I am not too familiar with lens aberrations, so my knowledge here is limited. Other suggestions on that page said that it could have been water droplets on the lens (taken from high-altitude aircraft). I've seen the satellite images from google and they usually don't have too great of a resolution (perhaps the military ones but not the civilian ones), so it might be an aircraft.

Here is another spherical object/aberration: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.134822,-117.603793&spn=0.0,0.0&t=k&hl=enp

Edit: For the aircraft hypothesis, here is the camera that the USGS usually uses:

http://www.kam-az.com/cameras.htm
http://seamless.usgs.gov/

And here is the other equipment:

Number of Tiles 139
Sq Miles 1,442
Scale 1:30000
Flight Date January - March 2003
Datum NAD 83
Projection UTM 11
Units Meters
Pixel Size 0.65 Meter
Format Geotiff
Rectification Method Orthorectify using Ground Control Points
DEM 30-meter DEMS (Level 1, Level 2)
Contol Image USGS DOQs
Camera Type Zeiss Top 15
Focal Length 153 mm
Film Type 9″ Color Roll Film
Scanning 21 Microns
Sampling Method Cubic Convolution

Last edited by a moderator:
There satellite images by Keyhole Corp. from what I know. I definitely think its an error in the system.

Read the replies on the link Ivan gave. There are a number of them to be seen. Try panning directly north or west and you'll find more.

i think there just system imaging errors. Zoom in and you see like "2005, Google" next to the orbs. Theres an orb to the west that is covering up some wavy form of "Google"

This looks to me exactly like the pressure wave you see coming from dropped bombs in WWII footage. For that reason, I suspect it is a weather anomoly: some kind of pocket of hot or cool air, caused by who knows what, that is behaving like a scattering lens, preventing the light from the ground from reaching the camera. Either that, or it is a very large jellyfish.

no no no it has to be a system error. Look at the "google" and "2005, google" letterings that are coming up when you zoom into the orbs.

Ivan posted in that thread appended to the picture.

Related to UFO Sighting in Florida: Is it Real?

1. Is there any evidence to support the UFO sighting in Florida?

There have been numerous reports and sightings of unidentified flying objects in Florida, but there is no concrete evidence to prove their existence. Many of the sightings can be attributed to natural phenomena or man-made objects. However, some sightings remain unexplained and continue to be a topic of debate among scientists and enthusiasts.

2. What possible explanations are there for the UFO sightings in Florida?

There are several possible explanations for the UFO sightings in Florida, including natural phenomena such as meteors, atmospheric anomalies, and cloud formations. Some sightings could also be attributed to man-made objects such as drones or experimental aircraft. It is also possible that some sightings are hoaxes or misidentifications of known objects.

3. Are there any patterns or trends in the UFO sightings in Florida?

There is no definitive pattern or trend in the UFO sightings in Florida. Some years have seen a higher number of reported sightings, but this could be due to various factors such as increased awareness and media coverage. Additionally, the sightings vary in location, time, and description, making it difficult to identify any consistent patterns.

4. Are there any scientific studies or research being done on the UFO sightings in Florida?

While there have been some attempts to scientifically study UFO sightings in Florida, there is currently no formal research being conducted on the topic. Many scientists and researchers are skeptical of the existence of UFOs, and there is a lack of funding for such studies. However, some private organizations and individuals continue to investigate and document sightings.

5. What should we do if we witness a UFO sighting in Florida?

If you witness a UFO sighting in Florida, the first thing to do is to remain calm and try to observe the object carefully. Take note of its size, shape, color, and any other distinguishing features. You can also take pictures or videos if possible. Once the sighting has ended, you can report it to a local UFO organization or to the National UFO Reporting Center. Remember to be honest and provide as much detail as possible to help with future investigations.