Ultrasound or Infrasound - directed at a horse

• Thread starter Alex1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ultrasound
In summary, the conversation discusses the past uses of sound on animals, particularly in medical research. The speaker is looking for references to a case in which a sound wave was directed at a race horse in the UK, disrupting its performance. They also inquire about other uses of sound on animals and ask for any help or references on the topic.
Alex1000
Hello,

I am researching an article on the past uses of sound on animals whether it be for medical research (e.g. development of ultrasound imaging) or other uses.

I remember there being a case of a sound wave directed at a race horse in the UK some years ago. This disrupted the horse and put it off from the race. I am trying to locate a reference to it. I recall it being a hand-held device aimed at the horse.

I would imagine that it was ultrasound that was directed at the horse such that Hz were above that of humans and that the beam of sound was quite focussed. Anyone have any memories of this - or of any similar events?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also interested in any other uses of sound on animals - especially if it is for medical research. Any help or references would be great.Thanks!

I can provide some information on the use of ultrasound or infrasound on horses. Ultrasound is a type of sound wave with frequencies higher than what humans can hear, typically above 20,000 Hz. It is commonly used in medical imaging to visualize internal structures, as you mentioned. In the veterinary field, ultrasound is also used for reproductive purposes, such as detecting pregnancy in mares.

Infrasound, on the other hand, refers to sound waves with frequencies lower than 20 Hz, which are also inaudible to humans. Infrasound is often associated with natural phenomena, like earthquakes and wind, but it can also be produced by man-made sources, such as industrial machinery.

In regards to the incident you mentioned with the race horse, it is possible that ultrasound was used to disrupt the horse and affect its performance. However, there is limited scientific research on the effects of ultrasound on horses. One study published in the Journal of Veterinary Behavior found that exposure to 28 kHz ultrasound for 5 minutes did not have a significant effect on the behavior or heart rate of horses. More research is needed to fully understand the potential impacts of ultrasound on horses.

Infrasound, on the other hand, has been studied more extensively in horses. A study published in the Journal of Veterinary Behavior found that exposure to infrasound at 5 Hz for 30 minutes caused an increase in heart rate and restlessness in horses. This suggests that infrasound may have a physiological and behavioral impact on horses, and it should be used with caution.

In conclusion, while there is limited research on the effects of ultrasound on horses, it is important to consider the potential impacts of sound waves on animals. As with any scientific tool, it should be used ethically and with proper understanding of its effects. I hope this information is helpful in your research.

1. What is the difference between ultrasound and infrasound when used on horses?

Ultrasound and infrasound are both types of sound waves that can be used for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes on horses. The main difference between the two is their frequency. Ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves above the range of human hearing (above 20,000 Hz), while infrasound uses low-frequency sound waves below the range of human hearing (below 20 Hz).

2. What are the potential benefits of using ultrasound or infrasound on horses?

Both ultrasound and infrasound can be beneficial for horses in different ways. Ultrasound can be used for imaging soft tissues and diagnosing injuries or diseases, while infrasound has been shown to have calming and pain-relieving effects that can be beneficial for horses with anxiety or musculoskeletal issues.

3. Are there any risks associated with using ultrasound or infrasound on horses?

When used correctly by a trained professional, both ultrasound and infrasound are generally safe for horses. However, there are some potential risks such as skin irritation or burns if the device is not used properly or for too long. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and only use these techniques under the guidance of a veterinarian.

4. Can ultrasound or infrasound be used as a substitute for traditional veterinary care?

No, ultrasound and infrasound should never be used as a substitute for traditional veterinary care. These techniques can be helpful in diagnosing or treating certain conditions, but they should always be used as a complementary tool to traditional veterinary care. It is important to consult with a veterinarian before using ultrasound or infrasound on a horse.

5. What types of conditions or injuries can be treated with ultrasound or infrasound on horses?

Ultrasound and infrasound can be used to treat a variety of conditions and injuries in horses. Ultrasound is commonly used for imaging soft tissues and diagnosing injuries such as tendon or ligament tears. Infrasound has been shown to have pain-relieving effects and can be used to treat conditions such as arthritis, back pain, and muscle soreness in horses.