Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultraviolet activated substances

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    I recently purchased a bonding agent that is activated by an ultraviolet light (provided as part of the package). After three seconds of exposure to the UV light, the liquid substance turns rock hard. I believe they use the same process with modern dental fillings. Can anyone explain what is the physics/chemistry involved in this reaction.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    Thanks. I was looking for the actual mechanism whereby the UV light induces the polymerization.

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4
    The UV light creates a free radical. Then the monomers polymerize via free radical polymerization.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5
    So why UV light? Is this strictly because it is short wavelength/high energy. In which case, would x-rays work?

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6
    No, the frequencies of X-rays are too high. The freqeuncy of the incident radiation has to be resonant with the electrons in the bond.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted