Phase Changing substance: me out

• Thread starter tkdpainkiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phase
In summary, the speaker is a student seeking a substance that can change from solid to liquid or "semisolid" with high viscosity when exposed to UV light or electricity. They mention not being knowledgeable in chemistry and ask for help in finding a safe substance with this property. One suggestion is to use an ER fluid for the reverse effect (liquid to solid transformation).
tkdpainkiller
I am a student trying to find a substance whose state I can control using either UV light or electicity. Preferrably, it would be solid at room temperature, but exposure to some sort of stimulus would cause it to change into a "semisolid" or liquid with high viscosity. As I am not knowledgeable in chemistry, there's no way I can find this on my own. If you know of such a substance (preferrably one that can be handled safely), please let me know.

Thanks,
Nick

Chemistry news on Phys.org
tkdpainkiller said:
I am a student trying to find a substance whose state I can control using either UV light or electicity.

I may be wrong but for pure substances temperature and pressure are the only variables that affect their state.

The only somewhat related idea I can think of is to heat an ionic compound to its melting point and then use a strong electrical current to maintain its molten state.

tkdpainkiller said:
I am a student trying to find a substance whose state I can control using either UV light or electicity. Preferrably, it would be solid at room temperature, but exposure to some sort of stimulus would cause it to change into a "semisolid" or liquid with high viscosity.
The reverse effect (liquid to solid transformation) can typically be achieved in an ER (electro-rheological) Fluid. Google it and see if that will work for you.

Related to Phase Changing substance: me out

What is a "phase changing substance"?

A phase changing substance, or a phase change material, is a material that can undergo a physical transformation from one state to another (e.g. solid to liquid or liquid to gas) at a specific temperature and pressure.

What are some examples of phase changing substances?

Some common examples of phase changing substances include water (which can change from a liquid to a solid at 0 degrees Celsius), carbon dioxide (which can change from a gas to a solid at -78.5 degrees Celsius), and paraffin wax (which can change from a solid to a liquid at around 37 degrees Celsius).

What are the applications of phase changing substances?

Phase changing substances have a variety of applications, such as in thermal energy storage systems, temperature regulation in buildings, and cooling systems for electronics. They can also be used in clothing to regulate body temperature.

How do phase changing substances work?

Phase changing substances work by absorbing or releasing a large amount of thermal energy during their phase change, which allows them to store or release heat. This makes them useful for maintaining a consistent temperature in a given environment.

What are the benefits of using phase changing substances?

There are several benefits to using phase changing substances, such as their ability to store and release thermal energy efficiently, their non-toxic nature, and their ability to be reused multiple times. They also have the potential to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions in buildings and other systems.