Umbrella fabric and diffraction pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses the appearance of a distant street lamp through a dark colored umbrella fabric. While it is commonly believed that the fabric creates a dotted diffraction pattern, the speaker has found that modern umbrellas do not produce this pattern. They speculate that this could be due to a waterproof coating on newer umbrellas or the composition of the fabric's threads. It is noted that the fabric is composed of multiple filaments and is called taffeta. The diffraction pattern is believed to be dominated by the filaments, resulting in a wider and more blurred pattern.
Orthoceras
It is sometimes said that a distant street lamp seen through a dark coloured umbrella fabric appears like dotted diffraction pattern, as in figure A. However, I have tried several umbrellas but all of them produce a blurred cross, as in figure B. The umbrella fabric superficially looks like a regular 2D grating, with warp and weft threads crossing at right angles, as in figure C.
I guess modern umbrella fabric is somehow different from old umbrellas cloth. What might be the difference? Does anyone happen have an umbrella that produces the dotted diffraction pattern?

umbrella.jpg

The image of a dotted diffraction pattern at the left is from an image at wikimedia commons

Likes vanhees71 and Keith_McClary
Science news on Phys.org
I had an umbrella that produced a pattern. The five I have access to now do not. I have some fabric with about the same thread count (that was a coat liner) that does produce a pattern. I speculate that there could be a waterproof coating on the newer umbrellas.

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
Waterproof fabric was invented by Charles Macintosh in 1823, I doubt that any 20th century umbrellas would have had no coating.

Another explanation might be the composition of the thread. I put the umbrella fabric under a microscope. It turns out each thread of the umbrella fabric is composed of more than 10 filaments. This type of fabric is called a taffeta, apparently. In the photo, possibly more light passes through the B-areas than through A-areas. Then the diffraction pattern is dominated by the filaments. The filaments are not spaced very regularly. As a result, The diffraction pattern due to B dominates, and it is much wider and more blurred than the diffraction due to A.
umbrella1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary

1. What is umbrella fabric made of?

Umbrella fabric is typically made from a combination of materials, such as polyester, nylon, or vinyl. These materials are chosen for their durability, water resistance, and lightweight properties.

2. How does umbrella fabric affect the diffraction pattern?

The material of the umbrella fabric can affect the diffraction pattern by either enhancing or reducing the intensity of the diffracted light. This is due to the fabric's ability to absorb or reflect light at different wavelengths.

3. Why do some umbrellas have a different diffraction pattern than others?

The diffraction pattern of an umbrella depends on various factors, such as the material, color, and design of the fabric. Different materials and colors will diffract light differently, resulting in unique patterns.

4. Can the design of the umbrella affect the diffraction pattern?

Yes, the design of the umbrella can affect the diffraction pattern. For example, an umbrella with a patterned fabric will create a more complex diffraction pattern compared to a plain fabric umbrella.

5. How does the diffraction pattern of an umbrella change in different lighting conditions?

The diffraction pattern of an umbrella may appear differently in different lighting conditions. For example, in bright sunlight, the diffraction pattern may be more intense and vibrant, while in dimmer lighting, it may be less noticeable.