Unanswered threads are not "unanswered "

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the issue of "unanswered" threads appearing in the list of unanswered threads even though they have been answered. The problem is caused by the cache on the server side and can only be resolved by refreshing the browser or clicking on the Unanswered Threads link again. There is a suggestion to change the display of the unanswered threads to either show the oldest ones or those older than a certain time period. However, it is noted that the URL changes every time the Unanswered Threads link is clicked, so manually refreshing the page may not always show the most current list of unanswered threads.
mooncrater
Hello!
I just wanted to say that some of the threads of the unanswered threads are not "unanswered ". They are answered. So I am wondering why are they present there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't experienced this problem except when I use the Back button to go back to the list of unanswered threads. In that case my page doesn't completely refresh. It contains the list from the first time that I visited the page and the reply counts from the last time that I refreshed it. The only way that I can get a correct and current display is if I click on the Unanswered Threads link again.

Likes Evo
The list doesn't auto update, so you need to refresh. If you are talking about the sidebar widget. It is cached for 5 minutes.

Likes davidbenari and mooncrater
Okay... so if someone answers an unanswered thread then it will still remain in the unanswered list till 5 minutes. O... :wideeyed:... kay

mooncrater said:
Okay... so if someone answers an unanswered thread then it will still remain in the unanswered list till 5 minutes. O... :wideeyed:... kay
Unless you update/refresh your browser window, I think is what was said.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
Unless you update/refresh your browser window, I think is what was said.
You can't manually refresh because the cache is server side

Greg Bernhardt said:
You can't manually refresh because the cache is server side
Ah. So they really ARE unanswered for a few minutes even though they are answered. Sounds weird.

Likes Evo
Perhaps instead of showing the newest unanswered threads (which are likely to get new answers soon), either showing the oldest unanswered threads or newest unanswered threads older than a certain time period (e.g. a day) would be better since these are probably the unanswered threads that need highlighting in the first place.

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt
Those would not change that frequently, however. Maybe the newest unanswered threads at least one or two hours old? Still frequent changes, but an answer in the next 5 minutes is not that likely (unless it comes via this feature, but then it served its purpose).

Likes Evo
You get a different URL every time you click unanswered threads. If you simply reload the page with that URL, you will see the threads that were unanswered when that URL was first generated - some of those may have been answered and will appear in white. If you instead click the link to unanswered threads, you will get a new URL with the currently unanswered threads.

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt

What does it mean when threads are labeled as "unanswered"?

When a thread is labeled as "unanswered", it means that no one has provided a response or solution to the original question or topic.

Why are unanswered threads important to address?

Unanswered threads are important to address because it means that someone is seeking help or information and has not yet received it. By providing a response, you can potentially help someone solve their problem or gain a better understanding of a topic.

What should I do if I come across an unanswered thread?

If you come across an unanswered thread, you can try to provide a response or solution if you have knowledge or experience in the topic. If not, you can also share the thread with others who may have relevant knowledge or expertise.

How can I increase the chances of my thread being answered?

To increase the chances of your thread being answered, make sure to provide a clear and specific question or topic. Use appropriate tags and titles to make it easier for others to find and understand your thread. Also, actively engage with others by responding to comments or providing updates.

What can I do if my thread remains unanswered?

If your thread remains unanswered, you can try rephrasing your question or providing more information to make it clearer. You can also try reaching out to specific individuals or groups who may have knowledge or experience in the topic. Additionally, you can try reposting your thread in a different forum or platform to increase visibility.