Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unbiased estimator of variance

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    Hey all,

In Schaum's outline it claims that the sample variance of s^2 is a biased estimate of the population variance because its mean is given by:
    [tex] \mu_{s^{2}} = \frac{N-1}{N}\sigma^{2} [/tex]

which I am cool with. It then says that the modified variance given by:
    [tex] \hat{s} = \frac{N}{N-1}s^{2} [/tex]
    is an unbiased estimator. I know this should be really easy, but I don't know how to show it.

Also even if I accept that [tex] \hat{s}^{2} [/tex] is an unbiased estimator of the variance, Schaum's outline claims that [tex] \hat{s}[/tex] is a biased estimator of the population standard deviation. I don't see how this could be possible. if the variance is unbiased, and we take the square root of that unbiased estimator, won't the result also be unbiased ?

Thanks,
    Thrillhouse

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

What happens if you calculate

[tex]
    E(\hat{s}^2) = E\left(\frac{N}{N-1} s^2\right)
    [/tex]

using the first result you mention.

On the second point: you could work out the distribution of [tex] s [/tex] and then find the expectation and see that [itex] E(s) \ne \sigma [/itex], or simply take as explanation the fact that even thought

[tex]
    s = \sqrt{s^2}
    [/tex]

it is not true that

[tex]
    E(s) = \sqrt{E(s^2)}
    [/tex]

which would have to be true to have [itex] s [/itex] as an unbiased estimator of [itex] \sigma [/itex].

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you are overcomplicating the problem. Your first equation shows a bias factor of (N-1)/N, so simply multiplying by N/(N-1) removes the bias.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook