Uncertainty principle and photon

In summary: Maybe it does. However, we should also pay attention to the fact that the uncertainty in a single measurement can be improved with better technique and better technology. I can measure the position that an electron hit a CCD much better than using simply a charge-sensitive plate. That improves the accuracy of a position measurement. Yet, it does nothing to my knowledge of its non-commuting observable within the HUP.Thus, improving the measurement uncertainty isn't tied to the HUP. Simply having better instruments does not make the HUP go away, or make the non-commuting observable better known.
spidey
i have always read in almost all sites that we have to shine at least a photon to measure the particle's position and momentum and hence comes the uncertainty principle...why we are using this shining photon technique always...is this the only way of measuring particle's position and momentum...is there any other method other than shining photon method to measure particle's position and momentum so that we can measure position and momentum with great accuracy...am i missing anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
spidey said:
i have always read in almost all sites that we have to shine at least a photon to measure the particle's position and momentum and hence comes the uncertainty principle...why we are using this shining photon technique always...is this the only way of measuring particle's position and momentum...is there any other method other than shining photon method to measure particle's position and momentum so that we can measure position and momentum with great accuracy...am i missing anything?

This is not actually correct. For example, in the single slit diffraction, one narrow down the position of a photon passing through the slit using just the slit width. So if the slit has a width of [itex]\Delta(x)[/itex], then the photon that passed through the slit was in that position, with an uncertainty of position being [itex]\Delta(x)[/itex].

You will also notice that if the width is made smaller and smaller, your ability to predict the value of [itex]p_x[/itex] after it passes the slit becomes less and less accurate. The photon can acquire a larger range of momentum values as you make the slit smaller. Thus, the spread in momentum becomes larger as more and more photons passes through the slit. The uncertainty in position ([itex]\Delta(x)[/itex]) will corresponds in the spread in this momentum, i.e.[itex]\Delta(p_x)[/itex].

In this case, you'll notice that we did not use any light to shine on the particle that we want to measure (this works for any quantum particle such as photons, electrons, neutrons, protons, etc.). In other words, it has nothing to do with instrumentation accuracy. It is intrinsic.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is not actually correct. For example, in the single slit diffraction, one narrow down the position of a photon passing through the slit using just the slit width. So if the slit has a width of [itex]\Delta(x)[/itex], then the photon that passed through the slit was in that position, with an uncertainty of position being [itex]\Delta(x)[/itex].

You will also notice that if the width is made smaller and smaller, your ability to predict the value of [itex]p_x[/itex] after it passes the slit becomes less and less accurate. The photon can acquire a larger range of momentum values as you make the slit smaller. Thus, the spread in momentum becomes larger as more and more photons passes through the slit. The uncertainty in position ([itex]\Delta(x)[/itex]) will corresponds in the spread in this momentum, i.e.[itex]\Delta(p_x)[/itex].

In this case, you'll notice that we did not use any light to shine on the particle that we want to measure (this works for any quantum particle such as photons, electrons, neutrons, protons, etc.). In other words, it has nothing to do with instrumentation accuracy. It is intrinsic.

Zz.

thank you for clearing my doubt...

ZapperZ said:
In other words, it has nothing to do with instrumentation accuracy. It is intrinsic.

I always thought of it as something fundamental about physical laws (about conjugate pairs in mechanics), such that measuring devices *always* causes a back-reaction at least as large as uncertainty principle says. I guess I mean that I think it's both.

genneth said:
I always thought of it as something fundamental about physical laws (about conjugate pairs in mechanics), such that measuring devices *always* causes a back-reaction at least as large as uncertainty principle says. I guess I mean that I think it's both.

Maybe it does. However, we should also pay attention to the fact that the uncertainty in a single measurement can be improved with better technique and better technology. I can measure the position that an electron hit a CCD much better than using simply a charge-sensitive plate. That improves the accuracy of a position measurement. Yet, it does nothing to my knowledge of its non-commuting observable within the HUP.

Thus, improving the measurement uncertainty isn't tied to the HUP. Simply having better instruments does not make the HUP go away, or make the non-commuting observable better known.

Zz.

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know one of these properties, the less precisely we can know the other.

2. How does the uncertainty principle relate to photons?

The uncertainty principle also applies to photons, which are particles of light. This means that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a photon at the same time. This is because photons have both wave-like and particle-like properties, making it difficult to determine their precise location and velocity.

3. Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of matter and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It challenges our classical understanding of cause and effect and shows that there are inherent limitations in our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Can the uncertainty principle be applied to larger objects?

Yes, the uncertainty principle can also be applied to larger objects, although the effects may not be as noticeable as they are for particles at the quantum level. This is because the uncertainty in the position and momentum of larger objects is relatively small compared to the uncertainty of particles. However, the uncertainty principle still applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size.