Uncertainty Principle: Position & Momentum of Photon

In summary, the uncertainty principle in Quantum mechanics states that the product of the standard deviation of the measured position and momentum of identical experiments is always greater than or equal to h bar. This means that even with a fully deterministic measurement of a single experiment, the results will be scattered when repeated multiple times.
stone1
There is something (among many things of course) that confuses me with the uncertainty principle as it pertains to position and momentum of a photon. If one shoots a photon of red light, for example, at a screen, one can see where exactly the photon hits the screen so position is known. Also, because the speed of light in vacuum is uniform at c, one can calculate, using simple algebra, the location of the photon in every step of the way. Where is the uncertainty here? I am not measuring the location of the photon inbetween but why should I, if c is a universal constant then c is a universal constant. Obviously, my reasoning is wrong, but I can't decide where my mistake is.
1. Is it something to do with measuring the exact time of the impact? But why should I care, again c tells me how long it took for the light to hit the screen.
2. Or maybe I cannot measure the exact distance to the screen? But then I should never be able to measure that distance, regardless of whether I am performing experiments with light or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hellow stone1,

This is a quite common misunderstanding in Quantum mechanics. I didn't really understand it until I read Griffith's book.

The uncertainty principle does not correspond to a single instance/experiment measurement, but it is a statistical results which states that if you repeat this experiment over and over again, you'll find that the results are scattered, not always the same value, with the product of the standard deviation of the measured position and momentum of IDENTICAL copies of the the experiment greater than or equal to h bar.
i.e.
[tex]
\sigma_{position} \cdot \sigma_{momentum} \geq \hbar
[/tex]

It has nothing to do with the apparatus used in the measurement, and for sure, your measurement of a single experiment is fully deterministic, it is just if you repeat it over and over again you would not get the same result

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know one quantity, the less precisely we can know the other.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle apply to photons?

The Uncertainty Principle applies to all particles, including photons. This means that we cannot know the exact position and momentum of a photon simultaneously, and this uncertainty is inherent to the nature of quantum particles.

3. Why is it impossible to know both the position and momentum of a photon?

This is because in order to measure the position of a photon, we must interact with it, which changes its momentum. Similarly, in order to measure the momentum of a photon, we must interact with it, which changes its position. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world, as it suggests that there are inherent limitations to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles. It also highlights the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact position and momentum of a particle can only be described in terms of probabilities.

5. Can we ever overcome the limitations of the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. However, scientists have developed techniques such as quantum entanglement and the use of more precise instruments to minimize the uncertainty and obtain more accurate measurements.