What is the Use of deMoivre's Formula in Finding Roots of Complex Numbers?

• Thread starter mohamen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the de Moivre's formula to find the square root of -i. The formula can be used to find any root of any complex number and is a trivial consequence of the fact that (e^(ix))^n = e^(inx). The reader is also reminded of the correct spelling of "de Moivre" and encouraged to figure out the solution themselves using the given hint.
mohamen
wat is under root - i ?

please anser this

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean [itex]\sqrt{-i}[/itex]? You can figure it out yourself! If [itex]a + bi = \sqrt{-i}[/itex], then what does the definition of square root tell you?

HINT:

[tex] -i=e^{-\frac{i\pi}{2}+2k\pi} , \ k\in\mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Daniel.

Hey guys, don't post here often, i will more from now on. Anyway, dexter got that from the identity e^(ix)= cos x + i sin x.

will it be solved by the de mouvies theorm...i don't think so...

You mean "de Moivre". Yes, it will, since that theorem is a trivial consequence of the fact that

[tex] \left(e^{ix}\right)^{n}=e^{inx} [/tex]

Daniel.

mohamen said:
will it be solved by the de mouvies theorm...i don't think so...
I personally like Hurkyl's suggestion best but WHY don't you think deMoivre's formula will work? It can be used to find any root of any complex number.

What is Under Root - I?

Under Root - I is a mathematical operation that finds the value of a number or expression that, when multiplied by itself, results in the specified number or expression. It is also known as the square root.

How do you find the square root of a number?

To find the square root of a number, you can use a calculator or manually calculate it using methods such as long division or the Babylonian method. It is also possible to estimate the square root by finding perfect squares that are close to the given number.

What is the difference between Under Root - I and Under Root - II?

Under Root - I finds the square root of a number while Under Root - II finds the cube root, which is the number or expression that, when multiplied by itself three times, results in the specified number or expression.

What is the symbol for Under Root - I?

The symbol for Under Root - I is √, which is called the radical symbol.

What are some real-world applications of Under Root - I?

Under Root - I is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. It can be used to find the side length of a square or to calculate the amount of interest on a loan. It is also used in computer programming to calculate square roots of numbers.