Undergrad Questions: Physics & CS Double Major

In summary, Deutsch suggests that for those interested in quantum computing, taking a course on the subject is a good way to get started. Applied math courses are also important, and it would be a good idea to take a course in real analysis or algebra as well.
Dazedandconfu
confused undergrad!

hey guys,
i'm about to start my junior year (double majoring in physics and computer science) , couple of questions, would i be eligible to apply to grad school for applied math (i'm interested in development of quantum algorithms) , also what kind of a jobs would i be able to apply for on graduation?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you would be eligible to apply to grad school for applied math. I would just try to take as many applied math courses as you can before you graduate. Remember grad schools don't just look at your degree, they pay much more attention to what classes you actually took. Not sure about the jobs though.

Dazedandconfu said:
hey guys,
i'm about to start my junior year (double majoring in physics and computer science) , couple of questions, would i be eligible to apply to grad school for applied math (i'm interested in development of quantum algorithms) , also what kind of a jobs would i be able to apply for on graduation?
thanks

Hey dazed and welcome to the forums.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I thought you might be interested in what I have to say.

David Deutsch, a researcher at Oxford University, released a set of lectures on Quantum Computing that also contain worksheets.

If you haven't covered anything to do with quantum computing, I think it might interest you. It's no substitute for a solid course and lab, but it's a good way to get oriented with the subject.

@ stengah yeah , i should def. take some applied math courses, but I'm not completely sure which ones to take , as of now I've taken advanced calc, linear alg, and a differential equation(ODE) courses , I'm going to be taking one more differential equation course (partials) , probability, and discrete structures in the next semester, would you recommend that i take courses in real analysis/algebra (cuz i have none) or should i take say a graduate level course in partial differential equations? any help regarding this would be great

@ chiro, I'm planning to take a quantum computing course in senior year, don't have the pre reqs to do so yet, but i will definitely check out the lectures you mentioned,
here's the link that chiro is referring to, in case anyone else is interested
http://www.hpl.hp.com/breweb/quiprocone/Protected/DD_lectures.htm

I can understand your confusion and the questions you have about your double major in physics and computer science. It is great that you are thinking about your future and considering graduate school and potential job opportunities.

Firstly, regarding your eligibility for graduate school in applied math, it will ultimately depend on the specific requirements and criteria of the program you are interested in. However, having a strong foundation in both physics and computer science can definitely make you a competitive candidate for such a program. I would recommend researching the specific programs you are interested in and reaching out to their admissions offices for more information.

In terms of job opportunities, having a double major in physics and computer science can open up a wide range of possibilities for you. You could pursue careers in fields such as data science, software engineering, or research and development in areas like quantum computing. Your skills in problem-solving, analysis, and programming will be highly valued in these industries. Additionally, you could also consider pursuing a career in academia or teaching if that aligns with your interests.

Overall, I would encourage you to keep exploring your interests and seeking out opportunities that align with your passions. Your double major in physics and computer science provides a strong foundation for a successful and fulfilling career in a variety of fields. Best of luck in your academic journey!

Related to Undergrad Questions: Physics & CS Double Major

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major in Physics and Computer Science. This combination allows you to develop a strong foundation in both fields, giving you a broader understanding of how the two disciplines intersect. It also opens up more career opportunities, as you can pursue jobs in both physics and computer science fields.

2. Is it difficult to balance the coursework for a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

The coursework for a double major in Physics and Computer Science can be challenging, as both fields require a strong analytical and mathematical skill set. However, with good time management and organization, it is definitely manageable. It is important to plan your schedule carefully and communicate with your advisors to ensure you are meeting all requirements.

3. Can I still graduate on time with a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

It is possible to graduate on time with a double major in Physics and Computer Science, but it may require careful planning and potentially taking summer classes. It is important to meet with your advisors early on to map out a plan that works for you and your goals.

4. Are there any specific career paths that a double major in Physics and Computer Science can lead to?

A double major in Physics and Computer Science can lead to a variety of careers. Some common ones include data analyst, software engineer, computer systems analyst, and research scientist. This combination of skills is highly sought after in industries such as technology, finance, and research.

5. Can I still pursue graduate studies with a double major in Physics and Computer Science?

Yes, a double major in Physics and Computer Science can provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in either field. It also opens up opportunities for interdisciplinary research and graduate programs that combine both fields. It is important to research potential graduate programs early on and make sure you are meeting all requirements.