1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    I know some undergraduates who are taking graduate level courses at my school. Do you think it's a good a idea for me to take a graduate level class in order to understand more about my current research? BTW, the class I am considering is taught by my research advisor, and the subject concerns the research that I am a part of. Of course, you need the consent of the instructor to enroll in the class.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2
    I would suggest that you ask your advisor then. It's not entirely uncommon for undergrads to take grad level courses, but whether or not such a course would be right for you depends on the specifics of your situation and the two best people to work that out will be you and your advisor.
  4. Dec 11, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you've completed the prerequisites and it's pertinent to your research, then I say go for it. I took two grad level courses (Quantum Mechanics I and Quantum Chemistry) as a college senior, and it worked out fine.
  5. Dec 11, 2005 #4
    I've taken about six or seven in the last three semesters, and I've done just as well in them as I have in my undergraduate courses. If you've got the prerequisites, I don't see a problem from a purely course level perspective.
  6. Dec 13, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the advice. I will consider taking one for next quarter.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?