Undergraduate Module Theory Books (including rings, of course)

In summary, Keating's book is a good introduction for those new to module theory, while Cohn's book may be more challenging but will provide a better understanding of the theory.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
For those looking for an undergraduate introduction to module theory there is not a great deal of choice regarding textbooks, but two possible texts are as follows:

"A First Course in Module Theory" by M.E. Keating of Imperial College, London [Publisher: Imperial College Press, 1998]

and

"Introduction to Ring Theory" by Paul Moritz Cohn, late of University College, London. [Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series]

Keating's book is genuinely undergraduate and is written extremely clearly … …

Cohn's book is more concise, somewhat more advanced and is more of a challenge to follow … ...

Hope that is helpful information for those interested in the introductory theory of modules and their rings ...Peter***NOTE***

A more difficult challenge is to find good introductory books on Algebraic Geometry … ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
For those looking for an undergraduate introduction to module theory there is not a great deal of choice regarding textbooks, but two possible texts are as follows:

"A First Course in Module Theory" by M.E. Keating of Imperial College, London [Publisher: Imperial College Press, 1998]

and

"Introduction to Ring Theory" by Paul Moritz Cohn, late of University College, London. [Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series]

Keating's book is genuinely undergraduate and is written extremely clearly … …

Cohn's book is more concise, somewhat more advanced and is more of a challenge to follow … ...

Hope that is helpful information for those interested in the introductory theory of modules and their rings ...Peter***NOTE***

A more difficult challenge is to find good introductory books on Algebraic Geometry … ...

For algebraic geometry, I recommend Frances Kirwan's book on complex algebraic curves.

Euge said:
For algebraic geometry, I recommend Frances Kirwan's book on complex algebraic curves.

Just a further note on undergraduate treatments of module theory:

There is an excellent 598 page abstract algebra text by Paul E. Bland that introduces abstract algebra to undergraduates with clear explanations and a good number of examples, that has a chapter on modules!

Details are as follows:

"The Basics of Abstract Algebra" by Paul E. Bland [Publisher: W.H. Freeman and Company: New York 2002]

Note that Paul Bland has a graduate level book on rings and modules that readers of his first book can follow with to deepen their knowledge. Details are:

"Rings and Their Modules" by Paul E. Bland [Publisher: De Gruyter 2011]Peter

Euge said:

Thanks Euge ... Based on your recommendation, I intend to buy Frances Kirwan's book ... ...

Peter

I think, to tackle Kirwan's book, you should have a solid background in linear algebra, complex variables, and general topology. It's a challenging book in my opinion, but I think you'll learn a great deal from it, Peter!

Euge said:
I think, to tackle Kirwan's book, you should have a solid background in linear algebra, complex variables, and general topology. It's a challenging book in my opinion, but I think you'll learn a great deal from it, Peter!

Hi Euge,

What books do you recommend reading in order to gain the necessary background in linear algebra? ... in complex variables ... ? ... in general topology?

I would value your suggestions ...

Peter

Peter said:
Hi Euge,

What books do you recommend reading in order to gain the necessary background in linear algebra? ... in complex variables ... ? ... in general topology?

I would value your suggestions ...

Peter

Here are my recommendations.

1. Linear Algebra
a) Sheldon Axler, "Linear Algebra Done Right"
b) Stephen Friedberg, Arnold Insel, and Lawrence Spence, "Linear Algebra"
c) Georgi E. Shilov, "Linear Algebra"

2. Complex Variables
a) Lars Ahlfors, "Complex Analysis"
b) John Conway, "Functions of One Complex Variable I"
c) Einar Hille, "Analytic Function Theory, Volume I"
d) Murray Spiegel et al., "Complex Variables"
e) Theodore Gamelin, "Complex Analysis"

3. General Topology
a) John Hocking and Gail Young, "Topology"
b) James Munkres, "Topology"

Last edited:
I actually liked Titchmarsh's Theory of Functions and Spiegel's Complex Variables (which I see Euge already mentioned) in Complex Analysis.

mathbalarka said:
I actually liked Titchmarsh's Theory of Functions and Spiegel's Complex Variables (which I see Euge already mentioned) in Complex Analysis.

Just a note to let MHB members know of two further undergraduate books on module theory.

They are as follows:

"Elementary Rings and Modules" by Iain T. Adamson [Publisher: Oliver and Boyd 1972 and also published in USA by Harper and Row 1972]"Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra" by T. S. Blyth [Oxford University Press 1990]Iain Adamson's book is a brief (136 pages) and clearly written book which is genuinely undergraduate. I believe Adamson wrote another more advanced book on the same topic.

T. S Blyth's book is a more substantial size (360 pages) and claims to be a self contained introduction to the theory of modules suitable for undergraduates with a basic knowledge of rings, fields and groups. Looking through the book and its contents, it seems suitable for advanced undergraduates or beginning graduates.

Peter

1. What is the purpose of studying undergraduate module theory books (including rings)?

The purpose of studying undergraduate module theory books (including rings) is to understand the abstract algebraic structures of modules and rings, which have applications in many areas of mathematics and other disciplines such as physics and computer science. Studying module theory also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What topics are typically covered in undergraduate module theory books?

Undergraduate module theory books typically cover topics such as module operations, submodules, homomorphisms, quotient modules, free modules, direct sums, and tensor products. They also introduce students to ring theory and its connections with module theory.

3. Are there any prerequisites for studying undergraduate module theory?

Yes, students are expected to have a strong foundation in abstract algebra, including group theory and basic ring theory. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of linear algebra and mathematical proof techniques.

4. How can I use undergraduate module theory in practical applications?

While module theory is primarily a theoretical subject, it has many practical applications. For example, it is used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages, in coding theory to construct error-correcting codes, and in physics to study symmetry properties of physical systems.

5. Can I self-study undergraduate module theory?

Yes, it is possible to self-study undergraduate module theory, but it can be challenging without the guidance of a professor or instructor. It is recommended to have a strong background in abstract algebra and to use textbooks or online resources to supplement your learning. It is also helpful to work through practice problems and seek help from others, such as classmates or online forums, when needed.