Undergraduate on Physics or Maths for Theor.Phys aspirants?

In summary: So it really depends on your interests.In summary, it is important to have a background in both maths and physics if you want to pursue theoretical physics, but it is less important which one you choose to start with.
Calabi_Yau
I have done some research about the maths and physics behind theoretical physics (i.e. string theory, which was mentioned in this forum earlier today) and it seems to me that in the cutting edge fields of study, like M-Theory, pure mathematics is as important as background knowledge in physics (am I wrong?). So my question is, is it more advisable to get to theoretical physics by a career path in mathematics or physics?

Is it important to choose physics first, but not that relevant whether we choose maths or physics in grad school?

I would like to hear your insights about this. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a double major in physics and math and I'm currently doing a PhD in physics (theoretical side of AMO). A large chunk of pure math classes didn't help directly to my physics ability because those classes view math for math's sake not applications. I went the algebra/analysis route for the math classes I picked and I took several at the graduate level during my undergrad years. The "applications" were only applications to different problems in pure math which was fine by me because I enjoy pure math but others thought it was dumb and served no purpose for their work.

I've found that the secret is to find a professor that has dabbled in physics or is an actual physicist teaching a pure math class. This is pretty rare to find someone like this but my school had a handful and these few classes were breathtaking to say the least and really made me want to get into mathematical physics for my PhD.

The biggest problem with mathematical physics is finding an adviser (and a job.. because that's a very specialized area with not a lot of opportunity) that can satisfy both subjects without getting buried into one or the other. I searched for an adviser, through emails mostly, and the ones I wanted to study with weren't taking on new students. So, I applied to schools that had other math-physics type professors and it turned out that their students weren't getting jobs afterwards so I said forget it and turned to something that can reasonably satisfy my needs and that has a lot of connections with industry (and funding).

All in all, choose what you like the most now and decide later on which to pursue more.

I think John Baez, at UC Riverside, does that kind of mathematical physics? I wouldn't know for sure; I'm only going by what I remember reading on his website.

I was asking myself a similar question and still don't have the exact details of what formal degrees I will be getting. But what I am making sure though is that I take advanced classes in both math and physics. So if you're interested in the "cutting-edge" fields of theoretical physics these days regardless of what you major in, you need to try your best to take as much advanced math and physics classes as possible. Here's what you should take beyond the intro-level:

Physics: A year of undergraduate Quantum Mechanics followed by a year of more advanced/graduate-level QM and then a year of Quantum Field Theory (you should start undergrad QM your second year if you want to do this), a year of E&M, at least a semester of advanced Classical Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics and General Relativity each.

Mathematics: ODEs/PDEs of course, Complex Analysis, Advanced Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, General Topology, Algebraic and Differential Topology. Classes on Differential Geometry and Lie Algebras/Representation Theory would also be nice.

So with this rather ambitious list one will no doubt be able to get a Mathematics degree, however for a Physics major most places would require at least 2-3 semesters of lab. So with these if you have time to fit labs in as well, get a Physics degree too. I personally haven't had time to fit in those labs yet and I only have 3 more semesters left and a whole bunch of other classes I would rather take, so I may not get a BS in Physics. Regardless class-wise this should be excellent preparation for graduate school in theoretical physics.

As far as what to apply for in grad school, I'll just say that I've seen quite some people with physics backgrounds who work in mathematics departments but none the other way around.

Last edited:

I can understand your confusion about whether to pursue a career in mathematics or physics for theoretical physics. The truth is, both subjects are equally important and intertwined in the field of theoretical physics.

In order to fully understand and contribute to cutting-edge theories like string theory and M-theory, one needs a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics. The mathematical concepts used in these theories are often complex and require a deep understanding of mathematical principles and techniques. Similarly, a strong understanding of physics is necessary to apply these mathematical concepts to real-world phenomena.

In terms of career path, it is important to have a strong background in both mathematics and physics. It is not necessary to choose one over the other, as both subjects are crucial for success in theoretical physics. However, it may be beneficial to focus on one subject during undergraduate studies and then pursue a graduate degree in the other subject. This will allow you to gain a deep understanding of both subjects and how they relate to each other in the context of theoretical physics.

Ultimately, the most important factor in pursuing a career in theoretical physics is a passion for the subject and a strong drive to continuously learn and explore new ideas. Whether you choose to focus on mathematics or physics, it is important to continuously expand your knowledge and skills in both areas in order to make significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics.

Related to Undergraduate on Physics or Maths for Theor.Phys aspirants?

1. What is the difference between undergraduate degrees in physics and mathematics?

Undergraduate degrees in physics focus on the study of the natural world and its laws, while mathematics degrees focus on the study of abstract concepts and their applications. Both degrees involve a strong foundation in math, but physics courses also cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Which degree is better for someone interested in pursuing theoretical physics?

Both degrees can provide a strong foundation for pursuing theoretical physics. However, a degree in physics may be more directly applicable as it covers topics specific to the field, such as quantum mechanics and relativity. A degree in mathematics may also be beneficial as it provides the mathematical tools necessary for advanced theoretical physics.

3. Are there any specific courses or electives that would be helpful for a theoretical physics aspirant?

Courses in advanced calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and computer programming are all highly recommended for theoretical physics aspirants. Other useful electives may include courses in quantum mechanics, general relativity, and statistical mechanics.

4. What skills are important for success in undergraduate physics or mathematics courses?

Strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and mathematical proficiency are essential for success in undergraduate physics and mathematics courses. Additionally, a passion for learning and a curiosity for the natural world can also greatly contribute to success in these fields.

5. Are there any research opportunities available for undergraduate students interested in theoretical physics?

Yes, many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students in theoretical physics. These opportunities may include working with a faculty member on a research project, participating in a summer research program, or completing an independent research project. It is recommended that students speak with their academic advisor or faculty members to learn more about research opportunities at their university.