What Are the Best Introductory Physics Resources for a High School Freshman?

In summary, a high school student should focus on mastering algebra, index manipulations, logarithms, graph analysis, calculus-based physics, and then use simulations, experiments, and model building to further their understanding of the physical world.
A GUY
Dear All,

I have you aware that I'm new here,and currently a high school freshman.

I'd actually like to learn some introductory materials needed to understand the basics of physics. Any recommendations? ~A GUY

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd focus on a lot of Newtonian mechanics as it sets the framework for the rest of physics to varying extents. Physics for Scientists and Engineers (Tipler) is very good but you may find advanced. As I'm in the UK I can't recommend many books as I don't know what's available in your country, but a great many books on mechanics have been written!

Perhaps just focus on what you learn at school?

Remember that the language of physics is mathematics, especially calculus, any work you can do on calculus will be highly beneficial and it's where I would start.

How much math and physics do you know already?

You must master algebra, and then calculus, to study physics seriously. To learn about the basics on a conceptual level, you might be able to do without calculus, but in any case algebra is a must.

I agree with the above by uman, In my last post I assumed you knew the basics of high school maths but yest you must certainly have a good mastery of :algebra,index manipulations,logarithms (v.related to index manipulations) and graph analysis, then move on to calculus. If these are not familiar to you your maths teacher at school will be able to help.

There are also some good non-mathematics physics books out there (more on the terms of "physical science / conceptual physics." At the college-level, I use "How Things Work" by Louis Bloomfield... and there's also "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker (Maybe it's just the edition I used back in the 90's, but I'm not so fond of Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics").

At this stage in your career, I'd suggest pairing one of these kind of books with an algebra-based book (maybe like Giancolli's "Physics: Principles with applications", even though I'm not 100% happy with it). Read back and forth between the two, so that you more fully understand the concepts with the math (try to balance these -- too often early students of physics think it's "just" another math course, while I think it's really more beautiful than that).

Furthermore, make use of some simulations (the University of Colorado "Phet" site has many simulations specifically designed to go with the Bloomfield text, which they also use), design your own experiments and make measurements (there's fun books out there on this kind of thing), and even try to build some stuff (motors, bridges, design mobiles etc.)

What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

What are the main subfields of physics?

The main subfields of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other specialized areas include astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics include the law of conservation of energy, the laws of motion, the law of universal gravitation, and the laws of thermodynamics. These principles help us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

What is the scientific method in physics?

The scientific method in physics involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments to test the hypothesis, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions. This process allows for the systematic study and understanding of physical phenomena.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It has practical applications in technology, engineering, medicine, and other fields. It also helps us make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy, leading to advancements in various industries and improving our quality of life.