Understanding 2D and 3D Elastic Collisions: Solving Analytical Problems

In summary, the problem of 2- and 3-dimensional elastic collisions involves a discrepancy between the number of variables and equations. In the 2D case, there are 4 variables and only 3 equations, while in the 3D case there are 6 variables and only 4 equations. To solve this problem, it is necessary to use the geometry of the collision and resolve the velocities along the line of impact and tangential to it. The conservation of momentum and energy principles can then be applied to solve for the remaining velocity components. The webpage mentioned in the conversation provides an explanation of this process, but the inclusion of angles may be confusing. These angles are used to determine the direction of the momentum change and are not necessary for
Omri
Hello,

I have recently been interested in the problem of 2- and 3-dimensional elastic collisions. I just don't understand how to solve these problems analytically: in the 2D case we have 4 variables (x,y components of the velocity times 2 bodies) and only 3 equations (2 conservation of momentum, 1 conservation of energy); in the 3D case (similarly) we have 6 variables and only 4 equtions.
I ran across this page: http://www.plasmaphysics.org.uk/collision2d.htm
but I stopped understanding when they started talking about theta as the sum of two other angles.
I would be happy if somebody could explain it to me.

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
In the 2D case, the "fourth equation" comes from the fact that you know the direction of the momentum change, from the geometry of the collision.

Resolve the velocities along the line of impact and tangential to it. The two tangential velocity components don't change, because there is no impact force in the tangential direction.

Apply conservation of momentum and energy along the line of impact: that gives two equations to find the other two velocity components.

In 3D there there are no velocity changes in the plane tangent to the impact, so 4 components of velocity don't change. Again, the two conservation equations give the two velocities along the line of impact.

I more or less get the idea, but the equations in the webpage (again, starting from the weird angles equations) sort of confused me.
Could you please explain what happened there mathematically (I'm referring to the 2D case)?

Related to Understanding 2D and 3D Elastic Collisions: Solving Analytical Problems

1. What is the difference between 2D and 3D elastic collisions?

In a 2D elastic collision, the objects involved are moving in a two-dimensional plane and all motion is confined to that plane. In a 3D elastic collision, the objects are moving in a three-dimensional space, allowing for motion in multiple directions.

2. What is the conservation of momentum in elastic collisions?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after the collision. In elastic collisions, the total momentum of the objects involved is conserved, meaning that the sum of their individual momentums before the collision is equal to the sum of their individual momentums after the collision.

3. How do you calculate the velocities of objects after an elastic collision?

The velocities of objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

4. What are some real-world examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-world examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, bouncing balls, and collisions between molecules in a gas.

5. Can the coefficient of restitution be greater than 1 in elastic collisions?

No, the coefficient of restitution, which represents the ratio of the final and initial relative velocities between two objects, cannot be greater than 1 in elastic collisions. A value greater than 1 would imply that the objects gained energy during the collision, which goes against the principle of conservation of energy.