Understanding a problem in ring theory

In summary: I$Then $J\subseteq R/I$ is an ideal of the quotient ring if and only if it there exists an ideal $J'\subseteq R$ containing $I$ such that $\pi_{I}(J')=J$.In summary, the problem asks to prove that the ring $R=\frac{\mathbb{C}[x]}{(f)}$ has finitely many distinct ideals, given that $f(x) \in \mathbb{C}[x]$ is a nonzero polynomial of degree $n$. The teacher explains that $(u \cdot g) = (g)$ in the ring $R$, and that $f$
kalish1
Can someone here help me fill in the gaps of my understanding for this problem? I would appreciate it.

**Problem:** If $f(x) \in \mathbb{C}[x]$ is a nonzero polynomial of degree $n$, prove that the ring $R=\frac{\mathbb{C}[x]}{(f)}$ has finitely many distinct ideals. How many distinct ideals does it have?

**Teacher's explanation:** $$R=\frac{\mathbb{C}[x]}{(f)} \longleftarrow \frac{J}{(f)}$$ means that $J \supseteq (f).$

*She mentioned that $(u \cdot g) = (g)$, but I don't see how.*

Now, $\frac{(g)}{(f)}$ where $(g) \supseteq (f)$, implies that $f \in (g)$. Thus $f$ is a multiple of $g$ and $g|f$. Thus $g$ is a monic divisor of $f$. Note that $f=c(x-x_1)(x-x_2)\cdots(x-x_n)$ by the Linear Factorization Theorem. Now we count the monic divisors of $f$, which turns out to be:
$$ 1, (x-x_1), \ldots, (x-x_n)$$ and all products of the linear factors. Thus there are $2^n$ distinct ideals.

**My questions:**
What does $R=\frac{\mathbb{C}[x]}{(f)} \longleftarrow \frac{J}{(f)}$ mean? Why is $(u \cdot g) = (g)?$ How does counting the monic divisors of $f$ correlate with the number of distinct ideals?

Thanks.

This question has been crossposted here: abstract algebra - Understanding a problem in ring theory - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I haven't seen before that notation with the arrow, I guess is just saying $J$ being an ideal on the quotient implies $J$ is an ideal of $C[X]$ which contain $(f)$.

$(u\cdot g)=(g)$ I suppose $u\in \mathbb{C}$, and that means we can always consider a monic generator for any ideal.

$\mathbb{C}[X]$ is an Euclidean domain, so also a $PID$, and $(f)\subset (g)$ means that there exist some polynomial $h$ such that $f=gh$ so $g$ is a divisor of $f$, and monic for the reason above.

Last edited:
Fallen Angel said:
Hi,

I haven't seen before that notation with the arrow, I guess is just saying $J$ being an ideal on the quotient implies $J$ is an ideal of $C[X]$ which contain $(f)$.

$(u\cdot g)=(g)$ I suppose $u\in \mathbb{C}$, and that means we can always consider a monic generator for any ideal.

$\mathbb{C}[X]$ is an Euclidean domain, so also a $PID$, and $(f)\subset (g)$ means that there exist some polynomial $h$ such that $f=gh$ so $g$ is a divisor of $f$, and monic for the reason above.

We haven't learned about domains or PIDs yet, and I'm still unsure of how $(u\cdot g)=(g).$ Also, where does the Correspondence Theorem come into play? Could you please elaborate with some examples?

Hi Kalish,

I will state a couple of theorems that I was assuming you know, let me know if you have heard about it or have some trouble proving it.

Theorem 1
If $K$ is a field, then $K[X]$ is an euclidean domain, i.e. for any given polynomials $f(x),g(x)\in K[X]$ there exists two polynomials $q(x),r(x)\in K[X]$ such that
$\bullet$ $f(x)=g(x)q(x)+r(x)$
$\bullet$ $deg(r)\leq deg(g)-1$
Furthermore, this polynomials are unique.Theorem 2 (Bezout's identity restricted to $K[X]$)
Let $K[X]$ be the ring of polynomials over a field and let $f_{1},f_{2},\ldots f_{n}\in K[X]$ be a finite set of polynomials such that $gcd(f_{1},f_{2},\ldots ,f_{n})=h$, then there exists $g_{1},g_{2},\ldots g_{n}\in K[X]$ such that
$h=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n}f_{i}g_{i}$

Theorem 3
Let $R$ be a ring and $I\subset R$ an ideal, if $a\in R^{*}$ then $I=aI$, where $R^{*}$ is the set of all elements in $R$ that have an inverse with respect to the multiplication.

Theorem 4
Let $R$ be a ring and $I\subset R$ an ideal, and $\pi_{I}: R \longrightarrow R/I$.
$\hspace{8cm} r \ \ \mapsto \ r+I$
Then $J\subseteq R/I$ is an ideal of the quotient ring if and only if it there exists an ideal $J'\subseteq R$ containing $I$ such that $\pi_{I}(J')=J$.

Thanks for that. Do you think $2^n$ is correct for the number of distinct ideals?

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Kalish,

I will state a couple of theorems that I was assuming you know, let me know if you have heard about it or have some trouble proving it.

Theorem 1
If $K$ is a field, then $K[X]$ is an euclidean domain, i.e. for any given polynomials $f(x),g(x)\in K[X]$ there exists two polynomials $q(x),r(x)\in K[X]$ such that
$\bullet$ $f(x)=g(x)q(x)+r(x)$
$\bullet$ $deg(r)\leq deg(g)-1$
Furthermore, this polynomials are unique.Theorem 2 (Bezout's identity restricted to $K[X]$)
Let $K[X]$ be the ring of polynomials over a field and let $f_{1},f_{2},\ldots f_{n}\in K[X]$ be a finite set of polynomials such that $gcd(f_{1},f_{2},\ldots ,f_{n})=h$, then there exists $g_{1},g_{2},\ldots g_{n}\in K[X]$ such that
$h=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n}f_{i}g_{i}$

Theorem 3
Let $R$ be a ring and $I\subset R$ an ideal, if $a\in R^{*}$ then $I=aI$, where $R^{*}$ is the set of all elements in $R$ that have an inverse with respect to the multiplication.

Theorem 4
Let $R$ be a ring and $I\subset R$ an ideal, and $\pi_{I}: R \longrightarrow R/I$.
$\hspace{8cm} r \ \ \mapsto \ r+I$
Then $J\subseteq R/I$ is an ideal of the quotient ring if and only if it there exists an ideal $J'\subseteq R$ containing $I$ such that $\pi_{I}(J')=J$.

No, it makes no sense.

The number of ideals will be the number of monic divisors of the polinomyal, so it can be just 2 if the polyomial is irreducible or whatever if not.

The four theorems above are the way to prove it. (They are the hidden facts in you first prove)

1. What is ring theory?

Ring theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies algebraic structures called rings. A ring is a set of elements with two binary operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfies certain properties.

2. What are the main concepts in ring theory?

The main concepts in ring theory include rings, ideals, homomorphisms, and factor rings. Rings are the main algebraic structures studied in this branch of mathematics. Ideals are subsets of a ring that are closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. Homomorphisms are functions between rings that preserve their algebraic structure. Factor rings are constructed by dividing a ring by an ideal.

3. How is ring theory used in other areas of mathematics?

Ring theory has connections to many other areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and representation theory. It is also used in the study of algebraic structures such as fields and modules. The concepts and techniques in ring theory are essential in understanding and solving problems in these areas.

4. What are some common problems in ring theory?

Some common problems in ring theory include determining whether a given set is a ring, finding the structure of a given ring, and proving properties of rings and their elements. Other problems may involve constructing and analyzing factor rings, determining the properties of ideals, and exploring the connections between rings and other algebraic structures.

5. How is understanding a problem in ring theory beneficial?

Understanding a problem in ring theory requires a strong foundation in abstract algebra and can improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. It also has practical applications in computer science, cryptography, and coding theory. Additionally, studying ring theory can enhance one's understanding of other areas of mathematics and their connections to each other.