1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding a proof of Cholesky's factorization

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must understand the following proof.
    Let [itex]A \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}[/itex] be a symmetric and positive definite matrix.
    Thus there exist a unique factorization of [itex]A[/itex] such that [itex]A=LL^t[/itex] where [itex]L[/itex] is a lower triangular matrix whose diagonal is positive ([itex]l_{ii}>0[/itex])
    Demonstration:
    [itex]A=A^t[/itex] and [itex]x ^t A x>0[/itex] for [itex]x \neq 0[/itex]. This is the hypothesis on [itex]A[/itex].
    It follows that [itex]A[/itex] is invertible, so [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] exist.
    Furthermore, considering vectors of the type [itex]x=(x_1, x_2, ..., x_k, 0, ... , 0)[/itex] one can see that the minors of [itex]A[/itex] are also definite positive.
    It follows from the [itex]LU[/itex] decomposition theorem that [itex]A[/itex] admits a [itex]LU[/itex] decomposition. In other words I can write [itex]A=LU \Rightarrow A^t=U^t L^t \Rightarrow U^t L^t (L^t)^{-1}=U^t[/itex] and [itex]U(L^t)^{-1}=L^{-1}U^t[/itex].
    Where [itex]U(L^t)^{-1}[/itex] is an upper triangular matrix and [itex]L^{-1}U^t[/itex] is a lower triangular matrix. Thus there exist a diagonal matrix [itex]D[/itex] such that [itex]U(L^t)^{-1}=D[/itex].
    From this, we have that [itex]U=DL^t[/itex]. Since [itex]A=LU[/itex], [itex]A=LDL^t[/itex]. Therefore [itex]D[/itex] is definite positive so its diagonal elements are positive.
    So I can write [itex]A= L'L'^t[/itex] with [itex]L'=L \sqrt D[/itex].
    Now in order to complete the proof, I must show that [itex]L'[/itex] is definite positive (I think it will imply that its diagonal entries are all positive). This is where I'm stuck.
    I couldn't even show that [itex]\sqrt D[/itex] is positive definite...

Uniqueness proof:
    Suppose that there exist [itex]L_1[/itex] such that [itex]A=LL^t=L_1L_1^t[/itex]. Let's show that [itex]L=L_1[/itex].
    1)Multiplying by [itex]L^{-1}[/itex] we get [itex]L^t= L^{-1}L_1L_1^t[/itex].
    2)Multiplying by [itex](L_1)^{-1}[/itex] we get that [itex]L^t (L_1^t)^{-1}=L_1 ^{-1}L_1L_1^t (L_1^t)^{-1}=L^{-1}L_1=D*[/itex] where [itex]D*[/itex] is diagonal with positive entries.
    It follows that:
    3)[itex]L_1=LD*[/itex]
    4)[itex]L^t =D* L_1 ^t[/itex] I don't understand how the proof reaches this
    From 3) and 4), we get (I don't understand the following implication) [itex]D*(LD*)^t=D*D*^t L^t=(D*)^2L^t \Leftrightarrow D*=I \Rightarrow L=L_1[/itex] which complete the proof.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    P.S.:D* is a matrix. * isn't a multiplying sign.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi fluidistic! :smile:

You know that [itex]\sqrt{D}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix with positive entries. What happens if you actually perform the multiplication:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc} x_1 & x_2 & ... & x_n\\ \end{array}\right) =
    \left(\begin{array}{cccc} \sqrt{d_1} & 0 & ... & 0\\ 0 & \sqrt{d_2} & ... & 0\\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots\\ 0 & 0 & ... & \sqrt{d_n}\\ \end{array}\right)
    \left(\begin{array}{c} x_1\\ x_2\\ ...\\ x_n\\ \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Do we get something >0?

Remember the equality from in (2):

[tex]]L^t (L_1^t)^{-1}=L_1 ^{-1}L_1L_1^t (L_1^t)^{-1}=L^{-1}L_1=D*[/tex]

The left and right sides say

[tex]]L^t (L_1^t)^{-1}=D*[/tex]

Thus

[tex]L^t=D*L_1^t[/tex]

Well, we know that

[tex]D*(LD*)^t=(D*)^2L^t[/tex]

but from 3 and 4, we also get

[tex]D*(LD*)^t=D*L_1^t=L^t[/tex]

Thus we get

[tex]L^t=(D*)^2L^t[/tex]

eliminate both sides gives us

[tex](D*)^2=I[/tex]

and because the entries of D* are positive, we get

[tex]D*=I[/tex]

Does that help?

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi micromass :D
    Hmm I understand that [itex]\sqrt a_i \cdot \sqrt a_i >0[/itex] for [itex]a_i \neq 0[/itex] but [itex](-\sqrt a_i)\cdot (-\sqrt a_i)>0[/itex] too. So why would [itex]\sqrt D[/itex] have positive entries? I mean, [itex]D[/itex] could still have positive entries even though [itex]\sqrt D[/itex] doesn't. Or I'm wrong?
    Yes :) assuming of course that [itex]\sqrt D[/itex] has positive entries, something I'm not yet convinced of.

Ah right! Thanks a lot.

Right.

Hmm I don't get this. What did you do to 3) and 4) to reach this?

I follow you on all this. I didn't realize that [itex]D*^t=D*[/itex]. Now I do.

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I see your problem. The thing is that the square root of a positive definite D matrix is defined as the unique positive definite matrix such that it's square is D.
    So [itex]\sqrt{D}[/itex] is actually positive definite by definition.

The thing is that we can choose many different square roots of D, for every diagonal entry we can choose [itex]\sqrt{d_i}[/itex] or [itex]-\sqrt{d_i}[/itex], but by definiton, we take the positive root.

Well, from step (3) we know that [itex]L_1=LD*[/itex]. So exchange [itex]LD*[/itex] by [itex]L_1[/itex] in the equation [itex]D*(LD*)^t[/itex]. This gives [itex]D*L_1^t[/itex]. And (4) excactly says that this is [itex]L^t[/itex].

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks once again for the help!
    I see. I blame myself for not knowing well the definitions!

I follow you until here
    Sorry to ask again, but in which equation? I don't find it.
    Ok I understand this.

7. Jul 1, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In the equation

[tex]D*(LD*)^t=(D*)^2L^t[/tex]

that you made in the beginning of (4)...

8. Jul 1, 2011 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks for all your help! Yeah I had realized this when I last studied this this morning before running to university and take the final exam (woke up at 7:39 am and I'm back from there, it's 7:15 pm. 4 hours exam in the morning+2.5 hours of Fortran exam in the afternoon. Then waiting for my grade :/). I had no time to reply here but I understood the proof, thanks to you I must say :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook