Understanding and Proving the Antisymmetry of the Electromagnetic Field Tensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Zwiebach 44

My book defines

[tex]T_{\lambda \mu \nu} = \partial_{\lambda} F_{\mu \nu} + \partial_{\mu} F_{ \nu \lambda} + \partial_{\nu} F_{\lambda \mu }[/tex]

where F is the electromagnetic field tensor
and says that it is identically zero due to Maxwell's. It then asks me to prove that it is antisymmetric?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Why would I need to prove that when it is identically zero due to Maxwell's equations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, even if you forget about Maxwell's equations, it is still identically zero due to the equality of mixed partials?
 
dextercioby said:
What equality of the mixed partial are you taling about ?

So,

[tex]T_{\lambda \mu \nu} = \partial_{\lambda} F_{\mu \nu} + \partial_{\mu} F_{ \nu \lambda} + \partial_{\nu} F_{\lambda \mu } = \partial_{\lambda} (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu} ) + \partial_{\mu} (\partial_{\nu} A_{\lambda} - \partial_{\lambda} A_{\nu} ) + \partial_{\nu} (\partial_{\lambda} A_{\mu} - \partial_{\mu} A_{\lambda} ) }[/tex] which is identically 0 due to the commutativity of partial derivates without even assuming Maxwell's equation are true. I am confused about what is left to prove?
 
What you wrote there is nothing but d^{2}=0. But just forget for a moment that F=dA. (Just the way you forgot that [itex]\delta F= 0[/itex]). Prove that T is completely antisymmetric.

HINT: [tex]g^{\lambda\mu}T_{\lambda\mu\nu}=...?[/tex].
 
dextercioby said:
HINT: [tex]g^{\lambda\mu}T_{\lambda\mu\nu}=...?[/tex].

Sorry. This is probably a silly question--but what is g ?
 
dextercioby said:
What you wrote there is nothing but d^{2}=0. But just forget for a moment that F=dA. (Just the way you forgot that [itex]\delta F= 0[/itex]). Prove that T is completely antisymmetric.

HINT: [tex]g^{\lambda\mu}T_{\lambda\mu\nu}=...?[/tex].

[tex]g^{\lambda\mu}T_{\lambda\mu\nu}= \sum_{v=0}^3 -T_{00v} + T_{11v} + T_{22v} + T_{33v}[/tex]

But why does that help us?
 
Oh, deer (!)... Do you agree that

[tex]g^{\lambda\mu}T_{\lambda\mu\nu}=\partial^{\mu}F_{\mu\nu}+\partial^{\mu}F_{\nu\mu}+\partial_{\nu}F^{\mu}{}_{\mu}[/tex]

??

If so, use the fact that F is antisymmetric and you're 1/3 done. The other 2/3 can be done in the same way, just pick the other 2 possible pair of indices.
 
OK. So, now I have that

[tex](g^{\lambda \nu} + g^{\nu \mu} + g^{\lambda\mu}) T_{\lambda\mu\nu}=\partial_{\nu}F^{\ mu}{}_{\mu} + \partial_{\lambda}F^{\ nu}{}_{\nu} + \partial_{\mu}F^{\lambda}{}_{\lambda}[/tex]

and I can find a similar expression involving [tex]T_{\mu\lambda\nu}[/tex] but now how do I get the negative relationship between them?
 
dextercioby said:
Hmm. There's no need to shuffle the indices of T. Only of g. Now do you see that each contraction of g and T is identically zero ?

I was changing the indices of T in order to show that it is antisymmetric. I thought we wanted to show that if you switched two indices, the sign flips.

No. I do not see that. What do you mean "each contraction of g and T"? Is the equation I wrote in my previous post incorrect?