Understanding and Solving Vertical Structure Stress Equations

In summary, the student is attempting to solve a problem involving stress and constant stress. They are unsure of how to use the equation to prove their solution, as they are only a second year student. Another person suggests that the question may be clearer if the wording is changed, and if actual values for compressive strength and density are provided. They also mention that finding the radius r may be easier, but it would be a waste of effort if the question is not understood correctly.
yui859126455

Homework Statement

http://holland.pk/uptow/i4/4af070d190cc175e6ca5d326cd60cda2.png The attempt at a solution
the question have a possible solution? that equation is based on stress is constant, so how to use this equation to proof? i m a year 2 student. i can only solve part i
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/zh2i6XCfF7wF4N3qi67U6ul0qfoRAOisQKwq88wE24iAMWns4lr2ra469lf_vXVgUpkSmONlvkKvtZznGqKHYzNEAFRrOS2QUO2exMCnL6-fTeKLr4qqBFryXguY_maGmHqp98naMWtOoB_3p5WshkynZhkPjks6epP5blbL8rlBKs3lS-OrkY0x1CTaeG-KXEDMxLN7X0SBcZo3ny_iMRx1ffRyT0A5wu7QmZeVcVPcVfsSNGVxc-S216sOZWPrf72rAf_DhCDM4Eb8DFzLh1qTHjZ-74FsGUMb8Lq7fuB0tNfM4YZbVlUYVEqYAQYp8QPI6rajRBT0C3rb9qruvKk_l0-rtFG6nLUUqm22j6RZWHeSNkS3ldvplg-_1n4xlw6mP-kBCkQmVn09zulD34JWINZ4eAo9bv4ppZBoXxJbJWGnSi8CNAS0GG-7MfhwqwARfFyc695DupPTLTr5YTlYcmaECNyxsD6f56qD01bRgcOHTjqYkOCuXZNHU5wF2D7npMogEECccVOl0y8AJkqBHWoxQwEwXrzAAjT-YGL47QBPHKOuPTtT3KSpnkOKaTbc7CQ7kxnQEtovJ_i-xEzrJZzd5yIdPXGHn4hosIfNNIqS=w686-h914-no

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
help

help

help

I've been puzzling over this since you first posted the question . Part 2 does not make much sense as written .

It might make more sense if the wording ' Determine the stress at the top of H ' was changed to ' Determine the radius r at the the top of H ' and if you had actual values for the compressive strength and density of the concrete .

Finding the radius r would not actually be too difficult but our efforts might be wasted if our understanding of the question is wrong .

Sorry I can't be more helpful .

Last edited:

Related to Understanding and Solving Vertical Structure Stress Equations

What is vertical structure stress?

Vertical structure stress refers to the forces exerted on a structure that are perpendicular to the ground. This can include factors such as gravity, wind, and seismic activity.

How does stress affect vertical structures?

Stress can cause deformation or failure of a vertical structure, depending on the magnitude and duration of the stress. It can also lead to cracks, leaks, or other structural issues.

What are the types of stress that can impact vertical structures?

The main types of stress that can affect vertical structures are compression, tension, shear, and torsion. Compression is a pushing force, tension is a pulling force, shear is a sliding force, and torsion is a twisting force.

What factors can increase the stress on a vertical structure?

Environmental factors such as strong winds, earthquakes, or heavy snow can increase the stress on a vertical structure. Additionally, poor construction or design can also contribute to increased stress.

How can we mitigate the stress on vertical structures?

Proper design and construction techniques, such as using sturdy materials and incorporating reinforcement, can help reduce the stress on a vertical structure. Regular maintenance and inspections can also identify and address potential stress points before they become a problem.