What is the weight of block D in this equilibrium of particles problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding the weight of block D using the equation F=-kx and the attached picture of the student's work. The student is stuck and unsure how to proceed, but has been given a tip to consider the ratio between "Facx" and "Facy" and to keep in mind the unstretched length of the spring AB is 3 meters, not 2 meters. They have also been reminded to use trigonometric ratios to find the weight of block D accurately.
hdp12

Homework Statement

Here is the problem that I am stuck on in my mechanics class.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/ygXVjNfI4iP8xVpEjhxXZlWlDqg_VrM2gCVFLyomOVwWCfcLU78mIcPEc7hEzUqBoACIiQ=w1210-h506

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

See the attached picture of my work
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dpyJ3aIImPY7kOm33QSuD_bZrqTqVL2DnPjhDp2G0t1wWDM9G5RGHORSXESWWNFp4H7xCfrQrLgu0Y9dzntbhG7AKzM=w1210-h506
I'm so stuck. I don't know what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the change in length of spring AB is 3 meters?

P.S.
Just a tip, there's no reason to find the angles spring AB makes; you only care about the sine or cosine of the angles which corresponds to ratios of the sides of the triangle. Finding (and rounding) the angle, like you did, may lead to less accuracy in the final answer.

Now, about your main problem:

What can you say about the ratio between "Facx" and "Facy"?

Nathanael said:
Why do you think the change in length of spring AB is 3 meters?
Because the unstretched length has been taken as 2m instead of 3m.

Nathanael said:
What can you say about the ratio between "Facx" and "Facy"
tan(45)=FACy/FACx or, they're directly proportional bc tan(45) = 1
FACy = FACx
What do I do with this?

hdp12 said:
tan(45)=FACy/FACx or, they're directly proportional bc tan(45) = 1
FACy = FACx
What do I do with this?
You calculated FACx so now you know FACy. You also calculated FABy. So what is the weight of block D?

But actually you calculated incorrectly, you'll need to recalculate (but I think you had the right idea). The problem says the unstretched length is 3 meters, not 2 meters.

Related to What is the weight of block D in this equilibrium of particles problem?

What is equilibrium of particles?

Equilibrium of particles refers to the state of balance or stability in a system where the net force and net torque acting on each particle is equal to zero.

What are the three types of equilibrium of particles?

The three types of equilibrium of particles are stable equilibrium, unstable equilibrium, and neutral equilibrium. In stable equilibrium, a small disturbance causes the system to return to its original state. In unstable equilibrium, a small disturbance causes the system to move away from its original state. In neutral equilibrium, a small disturbance does not cause any change in the system.

How is equilibrium of particles calculated?

The equilibrium of particles is calculated by applying Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on a particle is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Additionally, the sum of all torques acting on a particle must also be equal to zero for equilibrium to occur.

What are the conditions for equilibrium of particles?

The conditions for equilibrium of particles are that the net force acting on each particle must be zero and the net torque acting on each particle must also be zero. This means that the forces and torques acting on the particles must be balanced and cancel each other out.

Why is equilibrium of particles important in science?

Equilibrium of particles is important in science because it helps us understand the stability and balance of systems. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry to analyze and design structures, machines, and chemical reactions. Understanding equilibrium also allows us to predict and control the behavior of systems, making it an essential concept in scientific research and development.