What is the weight of block D in this equilibrium of particles problem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
hdp12
Messages
67
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Here is the problem that I am stuck on in my mechanics class.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/ygXVjNfI4iP8xVpEjhxXZlWlDqg_VrM2gCVFLyomOVwWCfcLU78mIcPEc7hEzUqBoACIiQ=w1210-h506

Homework Equations


F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution


See the attached picture of my work
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dpyJ3aIImPY7kOm33QSuD_bZrqTqVL2DnPjhDp2G0t1wWDM9G5RGHORSXESWWNFp4H7xCfrQrLgu0Y9dzntbhG7AKzM=w1210-h506
I'm so stuck. I don't know what to do from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the change in length of spring AB is 3 meters?

P.S.
Just a tip, there's no reason to find the angles spring AB makes; you only care about the sine or cosine of the angles which corresponds to ratios of the sides of the triangle. Finding (and rounding) the angle, like you did, may lead to less accuracy in the final answer.
 
Now, about your main problem:

What can you say about the ratio between "Facx" and "Facy"?
 
Nathanael said:
Why do you think the change in length of spring AB is 3 meters?
Because the unstretched length has been taken as 2m instead of 3m.
 
Nathanael said:
What can you say about the ratio between "Facx" and "Facy"
tan(45)=FACy/FACx or, they're directly proportional bc tan(45) = 1
FACy = FACx
What do I do with this?
 
hdp12 said:
tan(45)=FACy/FACx or, they're directly proportional bc tan(45) = 1
FACy = FACx
What do I do with this?
You calculated FACx so now you know FACy. You also calculated FABy. So what is the weight of block D?

But actually you calculated incorrectly, you'll need to recalculate (but I think you had the right idea). The problem says the unstretched length is 3 meters, not 2 meters.