Understanding and Using AT89C52 Microcontroller Ports for Beginners

• Thread starter beluluk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of microcontrollers and specifically the AT89C52 microcontroller for a project involving sorting objects. The conversation also touches on using Port 2 pins as inputs and outputs, and the use of timers/counters on specific pins. It is recommended to read the datasheets and Programmer's Guide for more information on the specific capabilities of the microcontroller.
beluluk
I'm doing a project of sorting objects, and this is the first time I'm working with microcontrollers. I am using AT89C52 microcontrollers. i just couldn't understand these statements in the datasheets.

"When 1s are written to Port 2 pins they are pulled high by the internal pullups and can be used as inputs. As inputs, Port 2 pins that are externally being pulled low will source current (IIL) because of the internal pullups."

how am i supposed to use the port as inputs? what should i do when i want the pins as inputs, and also, what should i do when i want the pins as outputs?

the port is an I/O pin. since i would be using the T2 and T2EX timers, can i simultaneously using some of port 2 pins as input (timer/counter) and the others as output?

The datasheets could be obtained from www.atmel.com

Thx b4.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You've pretty much explained this yourself. When a 1 is written to the port, it is pulled high by a pullup resistor. Just read the port if you want to use it as an input. If you want to use it as an output, don't hook anything on it that will drive it. Just write to it.

thanks for the answer. It is obvious, but it is just my first time using microcontrollers. i will try this right away.
thanks again.

Oh.. and one more thing. like i said before. can i use a port as an input and an output simultaneously? my mistake to mention timer 2 on port2. it is timer0 and timer1 that is on port3. can i use P3.4 and P3.5 as timers/counters while i use the other pins as input?

Last edited:
beluluk said:
Oh.. and one more thing. like i said before. can i use a port as an input and an output simultaneously? my mistake to mention timer 2 on port2. it is timer0 and timer1 that is on port3. can i use P3.4 and P3.5 as timers/counters while i use the other pins as input?
That generally depends on the microcontroller, so just read the datasheet and Programmer's Guide to find out. On most uCs, you an define port I/O directions on a pin-by-pin basis.

okay... thanks

Related to Understanding and Using AT89C52 Microcontroller Ports for Beginners

1. What does "I/O" stand for?

I/O stands for Input/Output. It refers to the communication between a computer and its external devices, such as a keyboard, mouse, or printer.

2. How can I improve my I/O performance?

There are several ways to improve I/O performance, including optimizing your code for efficient data processing, using faster hardware such as solid-state drives, and implementing caching techniques.

3. How do I handle errors in I/O operations?

You can handle errors in I/O operations by using try-catch blocks and proper error-handling techniques. It's important to handle errors gracefully to prevent crashes and ensure the reliability of your code.

4. What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous I/O?

Synchronous I/O is when the program waits for the I/O operation to complete before moving on to the next task. Asynchronous I/O allows the program to continue executing while the I/O operation is being processed.

5. Can I use I/O in different programming languages?

Yes, I/O operations are a fundamental part of most programming languages and can be used in a variety of languages, such as Java, Python, and C++. However, the specific syntax and implementation may vary between languages.