What is the meaning of antisymmetry in wavefunctions?

• Thread starter piareround
  • Start date
In summary, Brian Robert Martin has proved that if color confinement implies baryons color wavefunction is antisymmetric. This means that the wavefunction changes sign if you exchange two of the quarks inside the baryon.
piareround
Hey guys,

I just finished reading a proof from Particle physics
By Brian Robert Martin, Graham Shaw on a proving that if color confinement implies baryons color wavefunction is antisymmetric. One thing I am having trouble understanding though is what exactly does it mean for a wavefunction to be antisymmetric?. I remember my professor going over antisymmetry, but is was from an example of spin so I didn't understand it 100% becuase it involved stuff in quantum physics that I had not gotten to yet.

So I was hoping that some could explain or find links explaining:

1) What exactly does it mean to be symmetric/antisymmetric from a wavefunction point of view?
2) What does it mean to be symmetric/antisymmetric from a vector or graphically point of view? (for example from the perspective graph of complex plane)
3) Is their a easy metaphor or song to help remember symmetry?

Thanks in advance,

piearound

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure it just means if you switch a particle with another particle the sign stays the same. That's anti-symmetric.

Just to clarify: Are you sure you don't mean asymmetric rather than antisymmetric?

Anti-symmetric is exactly what it is about. In this context it means that the baryon wavefunction change sign if you exchange two of the quarks inside.
In general symmetric/anti-symmetric means slightly different things depending on what it is regarding to. One of the easies examples is reflection, i.e. looking in the mirror. Something that looks the same in the mirror is symmetric, for example a straight horizontal line, while something that looks as if it points in the opposite direction is anti-symmetric, say an arrow.

asymmetric means that something is not symmetric, while anti-symmetric means that if you include a change of sign this something is symmetric.. so what is anti-symmetric is a subset of what is asymmetric.

Hope this was of some help
Cheers

1. What is antisymmetry?

Antisymmetry is a concept in mathematics and science that refers to a relationship between two objects or elements where one element is the inverse of the other. This means that if one element is present, the other must be absent, and vice versa.

2. How is antisymmetry different from symmetry?

Symmetry refers to a relationship where two objects or elements are identical or have a mirror image of each other. In contrast, antisymmetry is a relationship where the two elements are inversely related. In other words, symmetry is about similarity, while antisymmetry is about opposition.

3. What is an example of antisymmetry in science?

An example of antisymmetry in science is the relationship between electric charge and magnetic charge. According to Maxwell's equations, if an electric charge is present, there must be an equal and opposite magnetic charge. This is an example of antisymmetry, where the two types of charges are inversely related.

4. How is antisymmetry used in scientific research?

Antisymmetry is used in scientific research to understand and model relationships between different elements or variables. It can also be used to predict the presence or absence of certain elements based on the presence of others, as in the example of electric and magnetic charges.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding antisymmetry?

Understanding antisymmetry has practical applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It can help in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic levitation in transportation systems, and in predicting and preventing potential problems or conflicts in complex systems.