Understanding Beer-Lambert Law at Low Concentrations: A Biologist's Dilemma

• A
  • Thread starter Thiago Augusto
  • Start date
In summary: Instead of the equation being y=Axy=Ax y=Ax , it contains higher order terms which could be modeled as y=Ax−Bx2y=Ax−Bx2 y=Ax-Bx^2 where BB B is a small positive constant and −Bx2−Bx2 -Bx^2 is the approximate correction factor.
Thiago Augusto
Dear All,

I am PhD student in nanomaterials, and a biologist trying to find the way to understand Beer-Lambert Law. Considering that only at low concentrations the relation between concentration and absorption is linear, I diluted a high concentration sample, dilution factor 10, resulting an adjustment curve, R2 = 0.9592, Equation, x = (y + 0.2118)/0.0071. How should I consider low concentrations samples, considering values below 0.2118 in absorbance (not negative values)?

Attachments

• Curva de Calibração Ácido Oleico.pdf
    195.9 KB · Views: 188
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you make the line go through the origin and perhaps make the best linear fit using just points with lower concentrations. ## \\ ## Additional idea: The straight line that you have obtained is actually the result of what appears to be a less than linear response for higher concentrations. Your data is most likely quite accurate=Instead of the equation being ## y=Ax ##, it contains higher order terms which could be modeled as ## y=Ax-Bx^2 ## where ## B ## is a small positive constant and ## -Bx^2 ## is the approximate correction term. I believe you could do a least squares fit or something similar for the curve ## y=Ax-Bx^2 ## to determine the constants ## A ## and ## B ##. For small ## x ##, the equation ## y=Ax-Bx^2 ## becomes ## y=Ax ## to a very good approximation.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I would suggest you make the line go through the origin and perhaps make the best linear fit using just points with lower concentrations. \\

Thank you for your reply. If I apply low concentrations values, which fits better my predicted values, the higher concentrations will be underestimated.

Charles Link said:
Instead of the equation being y=Axy=Ax y=Ax , it contains higher order terms which could be modeled as y=Ax−Bx2y=Ax−Bx2 y=Ax-Bx^2 where BB B is a small positive constant and −Bx2−Bx2 -Bx^2 is the approximate correction factor.

I did not get your additional idea yet, since the calibration curve must be linear. Moreover, my Supervisor suggested me to categorize the low values, for instance, absorbances below 0.2118 should be presented as <10 microliters per mililiter solution. It is an addaptive resolution to go throw.

Thiago Augusto said:
Thank you for your reply. If I apply low concentrations values, which fits better my predicted values, the higher concentrations will be underestimated.
I believe the slope of the graph at low concentrations is actually higher than for larger concentrations=which means that your line ## y=Ax ## will overestimate the value of ## y ## for high concentrations. The mathematics here is actually very much what one would expect. Your data set looks to be very good.

Likes Thiago Augusto

What is a spectrophotometer and how does it work?

A spectrophotometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths. It works by passing a beam of light through a sample, and then measuring how much of that light is absorbed or transmitted by the sample. This information can be used to determine the concentration of a substance in the sample, as different substances absorb light at different wavelengths.

What are the different types of spectrophotometers?

There are several different types of spectrophotometers, including UV-Vis, infrared, fluorescence, and atomic absorption spectrophotometers. Each type uses a different type of light source and detection method, making them suitable for different types of samples and applications.

What are the main applications of spectrophotometry?

Spectrophotometry has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, biochemistry, environmental science, and medicine. It is commonly used to measure the concentration of substances in a sample, identify unknown substances, and study the absorption and emission spectra of various compounds.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of spectrophotometric measurements?

The accuracy of spectrophotometric measurements can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the instrument, the purity of the sample, and the wavelength range used. Other factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of interfering substances can also affect the accuracy of the measurements.

How is spectrophotometry used in quality control and analysis?

Spectrophotometry is commonly used in quality control and analysis to ensure the consistency and purity of products. For example, it can be used to test the concentration of active ingredients in pharmaceutical drugs, the purity of food and beverage products, and the quality of water and air samples. It is also used in forensic analysis to identify and quantify trace amounts of substances in evidence samples.