Understanding Complex Integrals: Interpretation and Visualization

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of complex integrals and their geometric interpretation. It is mentioned that the result of a complex integral depends on the path taken on the complex plane. The Cauchy Integral Theorem is also mentioned, stating that the result of the integration is independent of the path if the function is analytic in the entire complex plane. The conversation also touches upon the definition of analytic functions and their domain. Finally, the motivation behind complex line integrals is briefly discussed.
Jhenrique
hello everybody

I'd like to understand what mean the result of a complex integral. For example, integrate f(z) = z² from 0 to 2+i results 2/3 + 11/3 i. But, what is this? What 2/3 + 11/3 i represents geometrically? Is it possivel view this result?

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many different paths through which you can go from 0 to 2+i on the complex plane. You have to specify which path you use in the integration. As far as I know, complex integrals don't have a simple geometrical interpretation like real integrals do (area under a curve).

hilbert2 said:
There are many different paths through which you can go from 0 to 2+i on the complex plane. You have to specify which path you use in the integration.
But in this case, f(z)=z2 is analytic in the entire complex plane, and then the result of the integration is independent of the path, only the endpoints matter. This is follows from the Cauchy Integral Theorem.

Erland said:
But in this case, f(z)=z2 is analytic in the entire complex plane, and then the result of the integration is independent of the path, only the endpoints matter. This is follows from the Cauchy Integral Theorem.

A) If a function is analytic in the entire his dominion, this means that no exist values ​​for which the function is undefined, right?

So, for example, f(z)=1/z is not analytic, because it is not defined for z=0, correct?

B) 2/3+11/3i has geometric interpretation?

Jhenrique said:
A) If a function is analytic in the entire his dominion, this means that no exist values ​​for which the function is undefined, right?

So, for example, f(z)=1/z is not analytic, because it is not defined for z=0, correct?
It is not analytic in the entire plane (i.e. it is not entire), but it is analytic in any region which does not contain 0. The Cauchy integral theorem holds for this function only for paths which does not encircle 0. For two paths in the plane with the same endpoints, the results of integrating 1/z along these paths will differ if they go on opposite sides of 0.

B) 2/3+11/3i has geometric interpretation?
No obvious geometric interpretation which I know of. Perhaps the complex integral can be interpreted as work if one makes some changes...

Analytic (or holomorphic) means that that the function is complex differentiable on it's (open) domain.

I would be interested in learning more about the motivation behind the complex line integral. To me, the complex line integral was presented as this dry definition from which all these incredible results come from, like Cauchy's Integral Theorem(s), open mapping, maximum modulus, residues etc. It all still seems a little mysterious to me.

I don't really know, but it seems to be the natural way to define complex integrals. If we interprete ##\int f(z)dz## as a limit of Riemann sums and ##dz## can be any infinitesimal difference of complex numbers, this leads to our definition of the complex integral.

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves the integration of functions that have complex numbers as their variables or outputs. It is an extension of the real integrals that are commonly used in calculus.

2. How is a complex integral interpreted?

A complex integral is interpreted as the area under a curve in the complex plane. This means that it represents the sum of infinitesimally small areas of complex numbers as the independent variable changes. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What is the importance of understanding complex integrals?

Understanding complex integrals is essential for solving a wide range of mathematical problems, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are also used in the study of functions with complex inputs and outputs, which are common in many real-world applications.

4. How do you visualize a complex integral?

A complex integral can be visualized by plotting the function in the complex plane and then using techniques such as contour integration or line integration to calculate the integral. These methods allow us to understand the behavior of the function and the complex numbers involved in the integration process.

5. What are some common techniques for calculating complex integrals?

Some common techniques for calculating complex integrals include the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, and contour integration. These methods rely on the properties of complex numbers and functions to simplify the integration process and make it more manageable.