Understanding Contractible Curves

• Thread starter sadegh4137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of contractible curves on a manifold and how they can be contracted to a single point. The definition of a contractible curve is provided, as well as an example of a curve that is not contractible. There is also a clarification that the contraction must be done within the space, not in an embedded space.
sadegh4137
I read some text to find it's definition
Is it possible to tell me it's definition?

I read below statements about local and global geometry and I didn't understand it. is it possible tell me it.
"If M ( a manifold) has a trivial topology, a single neighborhood can be extended globally, and geometry is indeed trivial; but if M contains non-contractible curves, such as extension may not be possible."

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sadegh4137! :smile:

(if C1 is the unit circle, ie [0,1] with 0 and 1 the same point)

a closed curve f:C1 -> M on a manifold M is contractible if it can be contracted to a point,

ie if there's a continuous function g:[0,1] -> C1M such that each g(t) is continuous, g(0) is a single point, and g(1) is f

eg the surface of a torus is not contractible, since a circle that "loops" the hole cannot be shrunk to a point!

tiny-tim said:
hi sadegh4137! :smile:

(if C1 is the unit circle, ie [0,1] with 0 and 1 the same point)

a closed curve f:C1 -> M on a manifold M is contractible if it can be contracted to a point,

ie if there's a continuous function g:[0,1] -> C1M such that each g(t) is continuous, g(0) is a single point, and g(1) is f

eg the surface of a torus is not contractible, since a circle that "loops" the hole cannot be shrunk to a point!

Sorry to nitpick, Tiny Tim, but I think it is important to note that the contraction must be done

within the space ( I thinks this follows from your definition of g , but I think it is important to say it any way, since I think it brings room for confusion ), in case the space is embedded somewhere else. As an example, if we have

## S^1 ## embedded in ## \mathbb R^2 ## , then note that ## S^1 ## --and any curve in it--

can be contracted to a point if we can work in ## \mathbb R^2 ## , but not so if, while doing the deformation , we must stay within ## S^1 ## .

Last edited:

1. What is a contractible curve?

A contractible curve is a continuous curve that can be continuously deformed into a single point without ever leaving its original space. In other words, it is a curve that can be "shrunk" to a point without breaking or intersecting itself.

2. How is a contractible curve different from a simple closed curve?

A simple closed curve is a non-self-intersecting curve that forms a closed loop. A contractible curve, on the other hand, can have self-intersections and is not required to form a closed loop. Additionally, a simple closed curve cannot be continuously deformed into a single point without breaking, while a contractible curve can.

3. What is the significance of contractible curves?

Contractible curves have important implications in topology and geometry. They are used to study the properties of spaces and surfaces, and can also be used to understand the behavior of higher-dimensional objects. In addition, contractible curves are often used as a tool in the field of knot theory.

4. Can all curves be contracted?

No, not all curves can be contracted. In order for a curve to be contractible, it must satisfy certain topological conditions. For example, a curve cannot be contractible if it has a hole or if it intersects itself in a way that cannot be undone without breaking the curve.

5. How are contractible curves relevant in real-world applications?

Contractible curves have applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, physics, and biology. In computer graphics, contractible curves are used to create smooth and realistic animations. In physics, they are used to model the behavior of strings and other flexible objects. In biology, contractible curves can be used to study the folding and unfolding of proteins.