Understanding Dedekind Cuts: Exploring Addition and Negative Numbers

• B
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the conversation discussed the definition of addition for Dedekind cuts and how it is defined as the sum of elements from two lower sets. It also touched on the neutral cut, the proof for A + S0 = A, and the relationship between Dedekind cuts and hyperrationals. The conversation revealed a mistake in mental arithmetic and led to the discovery of a consistency condition for defining hyperrationals.
This is a really basic stupid question but has me beat. I am almost certainly missing something but for the life of me cat see what. If A and B are are the lower sets of two Dedekind cuts addition is defined as the sum of the elements (r+s) with r in A and s in B. Is that correct or have I missed something? What I cant see is why if x is a negative number x + 0 = x. As I said I am likely missing something basic but for the life of me can't see what it is. Working on a paper defining the numbers but using a different approach based on hyperrationals and hyperreals. This came up while writing it but like I said has me beat. I will probably feel terrible when told where I went wrong about such a basic question.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Thanks. I will quote what one reference says and spell out my issue. By the definition of addition of Dedekind cuts above we have f(a)+f(b) is the Dedekind cut determined by the set{x+y|x∈A,y∈B}. Well, the set of rational numbers of the form x+y where x<a and y<b and x,y∈Q is exactly the set of rational numbers less than a+b. Therefore, {x+y|x∈A,y∈B}= C, so f(a)+f(b)=f(a+b).

Take x as -1. The Dedekind cut is A1 = {Q| Q < -1}. Take y as 0. The Dedekind cut is A2 = {Q| Q < 0}. Let the element from A1 be -1.000001. Let the element from A2 be -.000001. Then -1.000001 - .000001 = -1.000002 < -1.

I see my error. Dumb mental arithmetic.

Teaches me a lesson. Don't do stuff in your head - when necessary write it out. Yes and I do feel stupid, but will leave it up anyway so others can learn from my mistake.

Thanks
Bill

As a service to other readers and for us to have common ground, I'll quote the definitions in my book.

##A\subset \mathbb{Q}## is called a (Dedekind) cut if
  1. ##\emptyset \neq A \neq \mathbb{Q}##
  2. ##\alpha \in A\, , \,\beta \ge \alpha \Longrightarrow \beta \in A##
  3. ##A## does not contain a minimal element.

bhobba said:
This is a really basic stupid question but has me beat. I am almost certainly missing something but for the life of me cat see what. If A and B are are the lower sets of two Dedekind cuts addition is defined as the sum of the elements (r+s) with r in A and s in B. Is that correct or have I missed something?
My book says: If ##A## and ##B## are cuts then ##A+B=\{r+s | r \in A, s \in B\},## i.e. the author (Christian Blatter) doesn't refer explicitly to "lower sets" but to cuts instead.

bhobba said:
What I cant see is why if x is a negative number x + 0 = x.
I can't see where negative should matter. The neutral cut is defined as ##S_0=\{\xi\in \mathbb{Q}\,|\,\xi>0\}.##
bhobba said:
As I said I am likely missing something basic but for the life of me can't see what it is. Working on a paper defining the numbers but using a different approach based on hyperrationals and hyperreals. This came up while writing it but like I said has me beat. I will probably feel terrible when told where I went wrong about such a basic question.

Thanks
Bill
The proof for ##A+S_0=A## goes as follows:

We get from the second condition that ##A+S_0\subseteq A.## For a given ##\alpha\in A## there is always an ##\alpha' < \alpha## which is still in ##A## by the third condition. Hence
$$
\alpha=\alpha' +(\alpha - \alpha') \in A+ S_0
$$
so ##A\subseteq A+S_0## and ##A=A+S_0.##

• Love
Likes bhobba
if you want a good source to have that walks you through, look at Bloch : Real Numbers and Real Analysis.

Likes bhobba
Perhaps the Dedekind cuts is not the best way to introduce reals. There is a general way to complete a metric space.

Df: We shall say that ##\{x_n\}\subset\mathbb{Q}## is a Cauchy sequence iff for any (rational) ##\varepsilon>0## there is a number ##N## such that
$$n,m>N\Longrightarrow |x_n-x_m|<\varepsilon.$$

Let ##M## be a set of Cauchy sequences.

Th: The following relation in ##M## is an equivalence relation:
$$\{x_n\}\sim\{y_k\}\Longleftrightarrow |x_n-y_n|\to 0.$$

Df: ##\mathbb{R}:=M/\sim##

UPDATE
Let ##p:M\to\mathbb{R}## be the projection. Define a set ##U_r\subset \mathbb{R},\quad r>0## as follows.
$$p(\{x_k\})\in U_r$$ iff there exist ##K,\varepsilon>0## such that
$$k>K\Longrightarrow |x_k|<r-\varepsilon.$$ The sets ##U_r## form a base of neighbourhoods of the origin.

etc

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and bhobba
Thanks, Wrrebel.

I am exploring all this in an insights article on what numbers are.

My error was dumb - relying on mental arithmetic instead of doing it on paper. I am so embarrassed.

While writing the article, which is nearly finished, I discovered something very interesting - it's all interrelated to a consistency condition needed to define the hyperrationals well. Each hyperrational must be <,=, > a rational. That forces the finite hyperrationals to be a Cauchy Sequence and a Dedekind cut.

It was a surprising result that emerged while writing the article.

I hope people find reading as interesting as I did in writing it.

Thanks
Bill

1. What are Dedekind cuts?

Dedekind cuts are a mathematical concept used to define real numbers. They are a way of partitioning the rational numbers into two sets, where one set contains all the numbers less than a certain real number and the other set contains all the numbers greater than or equal to that real number.

2. How are Dedekind cuts used to explore addition?

Dedekind cuts can be used to explore addition by defining addition as the union of two sets of rational numbers. This allows us to extend the concept of addition from rational numbers to real numbers.

3. Why are negative numbers important in understanding Dedekind cuts?

Negative numbers are important in understanding Dedekind cuts because they allow us to define real numbers that are less than 0. Without negative numbers, we would only be able to define real numbers that are greater than or equal to 0.

4. How do Dedekind cuts relate to the concept of infinity?

Dedekind cuts can be used to define infinite sets, such as the set of all real numbers. This is because they allow us to partition the rational numbers into two sets, where one set contains all the numbers less than a certain real number and the other set contains all the numbers greater than or equal to that real number, without any gaps or overlaps.

5. Can Dedekind cuts be used to explore other mathematical concepts?

Yes, Dedekind cuts can be used to explore other mathematical concepts such as multiplication, division, and even calculus. They are a powerful tool in understanding and defining real numbers and can be applied to various mathematical concepts and problems.