Understanding electron affinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electron affinity in chemistry and how it relates to the energy given off or absorbed when an electron is taken in by an atom. There is confusion about why atoms with a higher number of valence electrons have higher negative electron affinities and why the second electron affinity is generally positive. The explanation is that nonmetals readily accept electrons, giving them a high negative charge, while metals have a harder time accepting a second electron due to their outer electron configuration. This is because atoms are more stable when their outer electron shell is filled.
johnblue09
Hello everyone, I am learning some chemistry and have come across a topic that I cannot get my mind around.

I understand that electron affinity is the energy given off/absorbed when an electron is taken in by atom. Atoms with low ionization energies tend to have low negative/positive electron affinities. What confuses me is the book also states that the first electron affinity is generally negative with the second one being positive (isn't EA positive when releasing electrons?) due to the atom needing to absorb more energy to overcome the electrostatic repulsions of the first electron. What i was thinking is why do atoms/ions (nonmetals) with a higher number of valence electrons have higher NEGATIVE electron affinities and not low negative/positive electron affinities if there's more electrons to overcome in the outer shell? Wouldn't the ion need more energy to deal with the new electrons more so than the metals? I just seem to be contradicting myself here, help me get my thinking back on track.

Edit: Alright I believe I may have figured it out...The nonmetals (except group 8A) readily accept electrons, giving them the high negative charge while metals once they gain an electron the second one isn't as readily accepted due to outer electron configuration and needs to absorb energy to overcome the electrostatic repulsion.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I THINK it is because an atom is more stable when it fills its outer electron shell. Atoms near the last column only need 1-2 more electrons to fill it and so attract electrons better than atoms near the 1st column, which need to get rid of electrons to reach it. Do you know much about electron orbitals and shells?

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the measure of how likely an atom is to accept an electron and form a negative ion. It is a physical property of an element that is influenced by its atomic structure.

2. How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of energy, typically in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This value is obtained by measuring the change in energy when an atom in the gas phase gains an electron to form an anion.

3. What factors affect electron affinity?

The most significant factor that affects electron affinity is the size of the atom. Smaller atoms have a higher electron affinity because their valence electrons are closer to the nucleus, making it easier for them to attract and accept additional electrons. Other factors that can influence electron affinity include the atomic structure, the number of protons in the nucleus, and the electronic configuration of the atom.

4. How does electron affinity relate to an element's position on the periodic table?

The electron affinity of an element generally increases as you move from left to right across a period on the periodic table. This is because, as you move from left to right, the atomic size decreases, and the nuclear charge increases, making it easier for the atom to attract and accept electrons. However, there are some exceptions to this trend, such as noble gases, which have very low electron affinity values.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding electron affinity?

Understanding electron affinity can be useful in understanding the chemical reactivity and behavior of elements. It can also aid in predicting the formation of chemical bonds and the stability of compounds. Additionally, electron affinity plays a crucial role in industries such as electronics, where it is used to design and develop materials with specific electronic properties.