Understanding Electron Movement with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (HUP) and its application in understanding the behavior of electrons in the nucleus. The speaker also raises questions about the accuracy of measuring particle velocity and position, and how it relates to the HUP. The conversation also references the work of Max Born and the connection between atomic orbitals and the HUP.
jaydnul
I'm trying to work out why electrons don't crash down into the nucleus using HUP. So if we take 10^-10 meters, the diameter of hydrogen, and use 10^-13 meters as our Δx, the HUP should come out unequal.

So I get Δp=10^-35*10^13 or

Δp=10^-22 and p=mv, so

Δv=10^10

This is where I am confused. I don't know how to think about the Δv. What values do we choose for v final and v initial?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I didn't use the relativistic momentum because that is not what I am confused about. I thought it would be simpler with just the classical momentum.

Nevermind, think I figured it out. HUP doesn't describe the actual system, it describes the information we can get from the system.

Some time ago I saw a video relating the large hadron collider. They said that the particles could be accelerated to a velocity of 99.999% the speed of light and they also added that the measured velocities were to an extremely high degree of accuracy. They also showed where the particles actually collide( to be precise, made to collide). If they were so accurate in measuring simultaneously the velocity and position of the particles, are they not violating the uncertainty principle?

Rishi Gangadhar said:
They also showed where the particles actually collide( to be precise, made to collide).

Where they collided was not known to much accuracy.

The way such things are calculated is by so called in and out states. We know the states going in, and calculate the transition probabilities of states going out - what's going on in between, and exactly where it occurs, we don't know.

Interestingly this was one of the first things figured out in QM by Max Born leading to the statistical interpretation:
http://hermes.ffn.ub.es/luisnavarro/nuevo_maletin/Born_1926_statistical_interpretation.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Likes Rishi Gangadhar
Thanks

What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to determine both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously with absolute certainty.

Who discovered Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

What is the equation for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The mathematical representation of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is Δx * Δp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

How does Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle apply to everyday life?

Although Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is most commonly applied to the microscopic world of quantum mechanics, it can also be seen in everyday life. For example, the uncertainty in the position and velocity of a car on the road increases as the car moves faster.

Why is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle important in science?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a fundamental limit on the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle can be known. This principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has led to many important discoveries in physics.