Understanding Equation Equality: Exploring the Concept of Equal Sides and -Mu

• Thread starter ssky
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an equation where the left side is a function of t and the right side is a function of x. It is explained that the equation must be true for all values of x and t, leading to the conclusion that both sides must be constant functions. To ensure that the function is bounded as t approaches infinity, the negative value is used in the equation. A possible explanation for this negative value is also given.
ssky
http://dc191.4shared.com/img/6pyFHiMb/s7/0.8584304740152441/706869958.jpg

I need more explanation for the first equation in the picture above:

Why we said that each side in the equation is equal (-Mu) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ssky! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

the LHS is the same for all x, and the RHS is the same for all t,

and since they're equal, they must be the same for all x and t :smile:

:shy:

I am sorry,
can you explain more.
and why we took the negative value?

the equation has to be true for all values of x and t

the LHS is a function of t, but for a fixed value of t it is the same for all values of x …

if you were to plot it on a 3D graph, with horizontal x and t axes, it would be a hillside on which all the contour lines (lines of level height) were parallel to the t axis…

but the RHS would be a hillside on which all the contour lines (lines of level height) were parallel to the x axis …

but the LHS and the RHS have to be the same hillside …

the only way that can happen is if the hillside is completely flat! :smile:
ssky said:

without seeing the previous page (which i don't want to :wink:), I've no idea :redface:

Actually, :rolleyes:

i didn't understand :biggrin:
:cry:
:confused:
:bugeye:
can you give me a clear example about this problem?

Last edited:
The equation looks like this:

f(t)=g(x)

The left side is a function of t only, and the right side a function of x only. Now, pick t=0.

f(0)=g(x)

This is true for ANY value of x, so it must be that g(x) is a constant function. Different values of x don't change g(x), because you always get f(0).

Similarly, if we set x=0 we get
f(t)=g(0)

This is true for every value of t, so f(t) is a constant function as well

ssky said:
:shy:

I am sorry,
can you explain more.
It says in what you posted "where the negative value was forced to warrent the boundedness of the function [itex]\Gamma(t)[/itex] as [itex]t\to \infty[/itex]".

I suspect that if you set it equal to "a" where a could be any constant, you would eventually get a function involving [itex]e^{at}[/itex] which will go to infinity if a is positive. Writing [itex]a= -\mu^2[/itex] where [itex]\mu[/itex] can be any real number forces a to be negative so that [itex]e^{at}[/itex] does NOT go to infinity and is bounded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Equation Equality: Exploring the Concept of Equal Sides and -Mu

What is the purpose of separating an equation?

The purpose of separating an equation is to isolate a variable or term on one side of the equation in order to solve for its value. This can make the equation easier to solve and understand.

What are the steps to separate an equation?

The steps to separate an equation vary depending on the specific equation, but generally involve simplifying and rearranging the terms on either side of the equals sign. This may include combining like terms, distributing, or factoring.

How do I know which variable to isolate?

The variable that you want to isolate should be the one that you are solving for. This is typically the variable that is missing from one side of the equation and needs to be moved to the other side.

Why is it important to check your work when separating an equation?

It is important to check your work when separating an equation to ensure that you have not made any mistakes in the process. This can help you catch any errors and ensure that your solution is correct.

Can I use any method to separate an equation?

There are various methods that can be used to separate an equation, such as the distributive property, combining like terms, and factoring. It is important to choose a method that is appropriate for the specific equation and will help you reach a solution more efficiently.