What is the role of AlGaN in GaN HEMTs?

• Thread starter ZeroFunGame
  • Start date
In summary, the conventional AlGaN-GaN HEMT structure uses a 20nm thick AlGaN layer to strain the GaN and confine a 2DEG at the interface. The source and drain contacts are directly on the AlGaN layer, which raises questions about the loss and the possibility of creating an enhancement mode HEMT with this structure. Additionally, using GaN for power applications may involve increasing the channel length of the HEMT, and the gate is in direct contact with the AlGaN layer which creates a shottky barrier. However, the electrodes material and surface doping are high enough to create a tunnel contact instead.
ZeroFunGame
TL;DR Summary
Please see below.
While trying to understand the workings of a GaN HEMT, I was looking at a conventional cross section of the device:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-schematic-of-the-conventional-AlGaN-GaN-HEMT-For-structure-A-a-10-nm-thick-EBL-with_fig1_265518659

I noticed that the source and drain were in contact with the AlGaN, which as I understand it is another semiconductor used to strain the GaN to confine a 2DEG at the interface.

A few questions come to mind:

1) Since the AlGaN is 20 nm, does this mean the 2DEG needs to travel through the 20nm of AlGaN to reach the source/drain contacts?
2) If so, does traveling through the 20nm AlGaN result in much loss? I assume electrons are not allowed to flow though the AlGaN since you'd want the 2DEG confinement at the interface, so perhapse the AlGaN un-doped. This is why I find it curious that the contact is directly on the AlGaN rather than etched to contact the AlGaN/GaN interface.
3) Seems like the device will be normally on. Are there ways to create enhancement mode GaN HEMTs based on this device architecture? Or would a new structure be needed?
4) I've see people use GaN for power applications. I assume this is using HEMTs. Is the way to increase blocking voltage to just increase the channel length of the HEMT?
5) The gate is in direct contact with the AlGaN, which looks like a Schottky barrier. Is the way to turn off the device by putting a negative voltage on the gate and somehow deplete the electrons in the 2DEG?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ZeroFunGame said:
Summary:: Please see below.

While trying to understand the workings of a GaN HEMT, I was looking at a conventional cross section of the device:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-schematic-of-the-conventional-AlGaN-GaN-HEMT-For-structure-A-a-10-nm-thick-EBL-with_fig1_265518659

I noticed that the source and drain were in contact with the AlGaN, which as I understand it is another semiconductor used to strain the GaN to confine a 2DEG at the interface.

A few questions come to mind:

1) Since the AlGaN is 20 nm, does this mean the 2DEG needs to travel through the 20nm of AlGaN to reach the source/drain contacts?
2) If so, does traveling through the 20nm AlGaN result in much loss? I assume electrons are not allowed to flow though the AlGaN since you'd want the 2DEG confinement at the interface, so perhapse the AlGaN un-doped. This is why I find it curious that the contact is directly on the AlGaN rather than etched to contact the AlGaN/GaN interface.
3) Seems like the device will be normally on. Are there ways to create enhancement mode GaN HEMTs based on this device architecture? Or would a new structure be needed?
4) I've see people use GaN for power applications. I assume this is using HEMTs. Is the way to increase blocking voltage to just increase the channel length of the HEMT?
5) The gate is in direct contact with the AlGaN, which looks like a Schottky barrier. Is the way to turn off the device by putting a negative voltage on the gate and somehow deplete the electrons in the 2DEG?
Generally in high-voltage GaN transistors breakdown starts at gate corner, where field concentration do appear. GaAlN layer is likely used mostly to reduce that local electric field, without introducing much other detrimental effects. Additional resistance (or diode drop) of GaAlN will be countered by higher doping of GaN active layer. Simple transistor will have same breakdown voltage at lower GaN doping.

Regarding shottky contact, no. Electrodes material (typically tungsten) plus surface doping is high enough for tunnel (ohmic) contact happens instead of shottky.

1. What is the difference between AlGaN and GaN?

AlGaN (aluminum gallium nitride) is a compound semiconductor material made up of aluminum, gallium, and nitrogen atoms. GaN (gallium nitride) is a binary compound made up of only gallium and nitrogen atoms. AlGaN has a wider bandgap than GaN, making it suitable for high-power and high-frequency applications.

2. What is the role of AlGaN in GaN HEMTs?

AlGaN is used as a barrier layer in GaN HEMTs (high electron mobility transistors). It serves as a barrier to prevent electrons from leaking out of the device, allowing for higher electron mobility and faster switching speeds. AlGaN also helps to reduce the electric field in the device, improving its breakdown voltage and overall performance.

3. How does AlGaN affect the performance of GaN HEMTs?

AlGaN plays a crucial role in determining the performance of GaN HEMTs. Its wide bandgap and high breakdown voltage allow for high-power operation, while its low electron affinity and high electron mobility result in fast switching speeds. Additionally, the use of AlGaN as a barrier layer helps to reduce leakage currents and improve device reliability.

4. Why is AlGaN preferred over other materials for GaN HEMTs?

AlGaN is preferred over other materials for GaN HEMTs due to its unique properties that make it well-suited for high-power and high-frequency applications. Its wide bandgap and high breakdown voltage allow for efficient and reliable device operation, while its low electron affinity and high electron mobility contribute to fast switching speeds. Additionally, AlGaN is compatible with existing GaN processing techniques, making it a practical choice for manufacturing.

5. What are the potential future developments involving AlGaN in GaN HEMTs?

Researchers are constantly exploring ways to improve the performance of GaN HEMTs, and AlGaN is a key area of focus. Some potential future developments involving AlGaN in GaN HEMTs include the use of new AlGaN alloys with even wider bandgaps, the integration of AlGaN with other materials to create more complex device structures, and the incorporation of AlGaN into new types of devices such as high-power LEDs and laser diodes.