Understanding Guass Points, Shear Energy, Hourglassing & Shear Locking

• Thread starter pukb
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, FEA uses Gaussian quadrature for numerical integration, which can give an exact solution with sufficient integration points. Zero shear energy elements may refer to the Kirchhoff plate theory, while Reissner-Mindlin plate theory is commonly used in FEA. With a lot of integration points and a coarse mesh, shear locking can occur, making the structure artificially stiff. This can be avoided by using reduced integration elements. However, using less integration points can also lead to hourglassing, where elements distort in the shape of an hourglass and can cause errors in the analysis. One solution to this is to use fully-integrated elements, but this can be computationally expensive.
pukb
i am facing difficulty in understading the following terms in fea

1. guass points and integration points
2. zero shear energy elements
3. Hourglassing
4. shear locking

Please provide information about the four points in a much simpler way compared to what is presented in internet or books.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am by no means an expert here, but I hopefully at least conceptually (hand-wavy) understand your four terms.

1. Gaussian quadrature is the way that numerical integration is done in FEA. I believe it can give an exact solution (of the integral) with sufficient number of integration (gauss) points.

2. This isn't a common term, so I googled it and saw the term being used at least once in the context of plates. Maybe it is referring to the kirchhoff-love plate theory (an extension of the commonly used euler-bernoulii beam theory), where shear strain is ignored in the derivation. In FEA, Reissner-Mindlin plate theory (an extension of the so-called Timoshenko beam theory) is what is used, and you have shear strain. Maybe the phrase "zero shear energy" is referring to the shear strain that is taken to be zero in the Kirchhoff formulation but not in the Mindlin formulation.

3. With a lot of integration points ("Gauss" points -- see "1"), and a coarse mesh, you can get shear locking. This phenomenon makes your structure artificially stiff. To understand why, read the paragraph of page 87 (and look at the associated figure) here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/59724360/65/Volumetric-locking
I suppose that shear locking is a problem in FEA analysis of plates (recall "2" regarding the presence of shear strain under deformation in Mindlin Theory) of a certain aspect ratio, if that interests you. One solution to the shear locking of brick elements is to use less integration points (i.e. use "reduced integration" elements instead of "fully-integrated" elements).

4. The problem with using less integration points is "hourglassing." This phenomenon makes your elements distort in a manner such that two adjacent elements form the shape of an hourglass (image search it), which can lead to nonsense. To see why this occurs, consider a 2D quad element with a single integration point in the center. There are 8 degrees of freedom (two translations at each of the four nodes). There are 3 rigid body modes (two translations and a rotation). There are only 3 stresses for the single integration point (two normal and a shear). We can see that 8 minus (3+3) leaves us with 2 "hourglass" modes. One possible solution to the problem of "hourglassing" is to go to fully-integrated elements, but you'd better use a fine mesh (see "3"). The computational expense of using a fine mesh and fully-integrated elements is the main reason why you don't always want to so.

Hope that helps (and isn't too hand-wavy)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Guass Points, Shear Energy, Hourglassing & Shear Locking

What are Gauss Points?

Gauss points are specific points within an element used in numerical integration methods, such as the finite element method, to approximate the behavior of a physical system.

What is Shear Energy?

Shear energy is a form of potential energy that is stored in a material when it is subjected to shear stress. It is a result of the deformation of the material and is released when the stress is removed.

What is Hourglassing?

Hourglassing is a numerical instability that can occur in finite element simulations when using lower-order elements. It causes a checkerboard-like pattern to appear in the displacement or stress field, which can lead to inaccurate results.

What is Shear Locking?

Shear locking is a phenomenon that occurs in numerical simulations when using lower-order elements to model thin structures, such as plates or shells. It causes an overestimation of stiffness and can lead to inaccurate results.

How can we prevent Hourglassing and Shear Locking?

Hourglassing and shear locking can be prevented by using higher-order elements, such as quadratic or cubic elements, which have more nodes and can better capture the behavior of the structure. Additionally, using stabilization techniques, such as selective reduced integration, can also help prevent these instabilities.