1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding how to set up integrals for inertia

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    Hello, and thank you in advanced for this. I am having trouble with setting up most if not all of my integrals when I am trying to find the elements of an inertia tensor. What would I do if i need to find say the tensor for a disk, but i dont know what to take for my three limits to be. i get that for the xy-plane it should be the circular area, but then for the z-axis? my head cant wrap itself around it. Again, please if you could shed me some help i thank you very much for it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    See: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~kovacs/Teaching/Mechanics/tensor_inertia.pdf [Broken]

Basically you construct the inertia element, then you add up all the lements - this will normally involve integrating over the volume of the object in question. The exact limits depend on the coordinate system and the extent of the object ... just like any volume integral.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook