Understanding How to Solve Vector Magnitudes and Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for solving a problem involving the unknown magnitudes of two vectors. One method involves setting the x- and y-components of the vectors equal to specific values, while another method involves using trigonometric functions and angles. The speaker is unsure about how to properly use the trigonometric functions in their equation and seeks clarification.
bergausstein

I just don't understand others way solving this problem

to solve for the unknown magnitudes of the two vectors I have to sum up all of the components in x and y and set them equal zero and from there I'll get some systems of equation.

I saw a method where they let the x-component of AB and BE to be

$\displaystyle\frac{3}{5}\cdot -9.38$ and $\displaystyle\frac{3}{5}\cdot BE$ respectively.

and the y-components of AB and BE to be

$\displaystyle\frac{4}{5}\cdot -9.38$ and $\displaystyle\frac{4}{5}\cdot -BE$ respectively

Can you explain why they do that?

and how can we solve this using angle

I know that $\arctan(\frac{4}{3})=53.1\deg$ but I'm uncertain on how to plug it in my equation properly I also know that to get the x-component I have to multiply the magnitude of the vector I'm interested into by the $\cos(53.1)$ in the problem given. but this configuration makes me wonder if I'm doing it correctly. hope you can help me with this. thanks!

[/SIZE]

Attachments

• statics.png
    statics.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think some context would be good here. Is this a statics problem? I'm seeing forces on your diagram, which is typically what you find on a Free Body Diagram. If you have to set all the components equal to zero, I think you're going to have a hard time of it, as none of the vectors have any positive $y$-component.

1. What is a vector magnitude?

A vector magnitude is the length or size of a vector, represented by a numerical value. It is calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you will need to find the square root of the sum of the squared components. This can be done by using the formula: |V| = √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. What is the difference between vector magnitude and vector angle?

Vector magnitude and vector angle are two different properties of a vector. The magnitude is the length or size of the vector, while the angle is the direction of the vector in relation to a reference axis. Both are necessary to fully describe a vector.

4. How do I find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula: V₁•V₂ = |V₁||V₂|cosθ, where V₁ and V₂ are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them. You can rearrange this formula to solve for θ.

5. Can I use trigonometry to solve vector magnitudes and angles?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve vector magnitudes and angles. For example, you can use the tangent function to find the angle of a vector, or the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of a vector. It is important to have a good understanding of trigonometry in order to solve vector problems effectively.