Understanding // in the Hint for Showing Numbers of Form ±m√2/n Are Dense

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter strobeda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form Numbers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
strobeda
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Please, someone, explain what the // in the hint below stands for:

"Show that the numbers of the form
±m√2/n
for m, n ∈ N are dense."

Hint:
"To find a number in (x, y), find a rational in (x//√2, y//√2). Conclude from this that the set of
all (irrational) numbers of the form ±m√2/n is dense."

Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
strobeda said:
Hello,

Please, someone, explain what the // in the hint below stands for:

"Show that the numbers of the form
±m√2/n
for m, n ∈ N are dense."

Hint:
"To find a number in (x, y), find a rational in (x//√2, y//√2). Conclude from this that the set of
all (irrational) numbers of the form ±m√2/n is dense."

Thank you in advance.

I think it's a misprint for division, since if you take a rational in [itex](x/\sqrt{2},y/\sqrt{2})[/itex] and multiply it by [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] you indeed get a real number in [itex](x,y)[/itex].
 
I suspected that, but I didn't want to go astray trying a wrong tack in case I was just ignorant of the symbol.

Thank you very much, pasmith.