Understanding Julia Sets: Simplified Explanation & Assistance | Expert Help

• Thread starter dmehling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, Julia sets and the Mandelbrot set involve the same computation of the iteration z_{n+1}= z_n^2+ c, but with different starting values. The Julia set, Jc, consists of all z_0 such that the iteration converges, while the Mandelbrot set consists of all c such that the iteration with z_0= 0 converges. The Mandelbrot set can be used to "index" the Julia sets, with deeper points inside the set resulting in less complicated boundaries. Gaston Julia, who lived in the 19th century, did all computations by hand.
dmehling
I need someone to help explain to me in simple terms how Julia sets work. I understand how the equations governing the Mandelbrot set work, but am finding Julia sets to be a little more complex and difficult to understand.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually, finding Julia sets requires exactly the same computation as the Mandlebrot set.

Both involve the iteration [itex]z_{n+1}= z_n^2+ c[/itex]. With the Julia sets you are given a fixed "c" (and we refer to the Julia sets as "Jc") and the Julia set consists of all [itex]z_0[/itex] such that that iteration converges. The Mandlebrot set consists of all c such that the iteration with [itex]z_0= 0[/itex] converges. (Some texts say "the iteration with [itex]z_0= c[/itex]". Of course, if you start with [itex]z= 0[/itex] you immediately get [itex]z_1= c[/itex] so the convergence is the same either way.)

If I wanted to draw the Julia set, Jc, I would set up a double loop to step through every possible z0= x+iy and check each to see if the sequence converges. If I wanted to draw the Mandlebrot set, I would set up a double loop to step through every possible c= x+ iy and check to see if the sequence starting with z0= 0 converges.

The Mandlebrot set, by the way, "indexes" the Julia sets. If c is a complex number well within the Mandlebrot set, then Jc will be a single "blob" with boundary less complicated the deeper inside it is (If c= 0, J0 is simply a disk). If c is near the boundary of the Mandlebrot set, Jc will be a single connected set with a fractal boundary. If c is just outside the boundary of the Mandlebrot set, Jc is a number of disjoint piecess. If c is far outside the boundary of the Mandlebrot set, Jc is a "dust".

Also, while Mandlebrot worked for IBM, Gaston Julia lived around the beginning of the 19 th century and did all computations by hand!

Last edited by a moderator:

What are Julia sets?

Julia sets are a type of fractal that is generated by repeatedly applying a mathematical function to a starting point. They are named after the French mathematician Gaston Julia, who first studied them in the early 20th century.

How do you create a Julia set?

To create a Julia set, you need to choose a complex number as the starting point, and then apply a mathematical function called the "Julia set formula" to that number. This process is then repeated multiple times, and the resulting points are plotted on a graph. The resulting shape is the Julia set.

What is the significance of Julia sets?

Julia sets are significant because they exhibit self-similarity and infinite complexity, making them a type of fractal. They also have a close connection to the Mandelbrot set, another famous fractal. They have been studied extensively in mathematics and have applications in other fields such as physics and computer graphics.

How is the appearance of a Julia set determined?

The appearance of a Julia set is determined by the complex number chosen as the starting point and the mathematical function used to generate it. Different combinations of these factors can result in vastly different shapes and patterns, showcasing the infinite complexity of the Julia set.

Are Julia sets only found in mathematics?

No, Julia sets can also be found in other fields such as physics, computer science, and even art. They have been used to model natural phenomena such as fluid dynamics and have been incorporated into computer-generated graphics and animations.