Understanding Kaon Behavior: Decays and Predictions by Gell-Mann and Pais

• I
  • Thread starter Pedro de la Torre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, the decay process of k → 2 π is much faster than the K → 3π due to the greater energy released. This is explained in Griffiths' book, where it is stated that the available phase space for the decay into 2 pions is larger compared to 3 pions. This results in different lifetimes for the CP eigenstates ##K_s## and ##K_l## ("K short" and "K long"). The conversion between the K° and its antiparticle can be predicted through Feynman diagrams and has been experimentally observed, leading to the discovery of CP violation in the neutral-kaons system. It is important to work through the whole book in order to fully understand the
Pedro de la Torre
Hello, I am startfing to study kaons and I can not understand why (or how) We know that the decay process of k → 2 π is much faster than the K → 3π.

In the Griffits´ book he says that: The reason is the energy released is greater.

But I don´t get it.

Can someone explain me this issue a bit?

And, if possible, how could Gell-Mannand Pais predict the conversion between a K° and its antiparticle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pedro de la Torre said:
In the Griffits´ book he says that: The reason is the energy released is greater.

But I don´t get it.

Have you read the whole book? Or only that sentence?

I am reading it... I am only in the 5th chapter.

I think Griffiths's wording is a bit confusing. What he means to say is the following: Take the kaon in the initial state at rest. The energy is given by its rest energy ##m_K c^2##. To decay into 2 or three 3 pions you need more the ##2 m_{\pi} c^2## or ##3 m_{\pi} c^2## of energy, respectively. Thus the available phase space (in terms of the pions' three momenta) is much larger for the decay into 2 than 3 pions, and thus the lifetimes of the CP eigenstates ##K_s## and ##K_l## ("K short" and "K long") are quite different: ##\tau_s=0.895 \cdot 10^{-10} \text{s}## and ##\tau_l=5.11 \cdot 10^{-8} \text{s}## as written in Griffiths's book.

Likes Pedro de la Torre
It´s great! thank you!

And about the conversion between the K° and its antiparticle, how can be predicted such phenomenom?

Pedro de la Torre said:
And about the conversion between the K° and its antiparticle, how can be predicted such phenomenom?
the question is unclear. Do you mean how one can measure this? or how it can happen?

Well, both the ##\mathrm{K}^0## and the ##\overline{\mathrm{K}^0}## can decay to two pions. Now think of this process in terms of Feynman diagrams, it's pretty clear that you can built a loop diagram where a ##\mathrm{K}^0## is converted to a ##\overline{\mathrm{K}^0}##. For a very nice treatment within quantum mechanics (applying the famous Wigner-Weisskopf approximation), including the important discovery of CP violation in the neutral-kaons system (Nobel to Cronin and Fitch 1964) see

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics - Concepts and Phenomenology, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, 1990.

Likes Pedro de la Torre
Pedro de la Torre said:

See Figure 4.12 in Griffiths. This is why I asked you if you were working through the whole thing. Each chapter builds on the ones before it. You can't jump around and learn the material.

Likes Pedro de la Torre and vanhees71
Yes, I did not understand when I saw for first time, but now I have completely understood.

Thank you.

1. What is the significance of Kaon behavior in particle physics?

Kaons are subatomic particles that play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe, particularly the weak nuclear force. They are also used in experiments to test the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Who are Gell-Mann and Pais and what are their contributions to the study of Kaon behavior?

Murray Gell-Mann and Abraham Pais were two prominent physicists who collaborated on a paper in 1955 titled "Behavior of Neutral Particles Under Charge Conjugation". This paper laid the foundation for understanding the decays and predictions of Kaons, as well as introducing the concept of "strangeness" in particle physics.

3. How do Kaons decay and what does it tell us about their behavior?

Kaons can decay in a variety of ways, including weak decays and strong decays. These decays are governed by the laws of quantum mechanics and can help us understand the properties and interactions of Kaons, such as their mass, spin, and charge.

4. What are some of the predictions made by Gell-Mann and Pais about Kaon behavior?

Gell-Mann and Pais predicted the existence of a new type of Kaon, the K-sub-0 meson, which was later discovered in experiments. They also predicted the existence of a new quantum number called "charm", which was later confirmed by the discovery of the J/psi particle.

5. How has our understanding of Kaon behavior evolved since the work of Gell-Mann and Pais?

Since the publication of their paper in 1955, there have been numerous experiments and advancements in technology that have allowed us to further study Kaon behavior. This has led to a deeper understanding of the Standard Model and the discovery of new particles, such as the Higgs boson. However, some questions about Kaon behavior, such as the origin of their mass, still remain unanswered and continue to be a subject of research.