Understanding Limit Current & Resistivity in Source Meter Machines

In summary, source meter machines are devices that measure the current that a device can draw from a power supply. They have a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current, and can adjust the resistor or voltage to adjust the brightness of the LED.
chikou24i
We see always in source meter machines a LED which indicates the limit current. I want to know what is the limit current and what is the relationship between this later and the resistivity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a "source meter machine" ?

Likes chikou24i
Hi chikou24i. Could you explain what your "source meter machines" do? Can you provide us with a URL to a site showing one, so we can establish what it is.

Likes chikou24i
Regardless of the application, LEDs need a current limiting resistor in series with them. That's because LEDs are diodes, and a diode will attempt to pass almost infinite current if you put anything but a very small voltage across it.

But with the resistor in series, as the current increases, more and more voltage is dropped across the resistor instead of the LED until a kind of equilibrium is reached. Adjusting the value of the resistor or voltage adjusts the current and thus the brightness.

The LED manufacturer specifies a maximum current, so you just need to pick a resistor that won't allow the current to exceed that maximum.

Likes chikou24i
OK guys this is an exemple of sourcemeter unit : http://www.es-france.com/produit538/product_info.html , But what I want to know is what means CURRENT LIMIT physically.

chikou24i said:
OK guys this is an exemple of sourcemeter unit : http://www.es-france.com/produit538/product_info.html , But what I want to know is what means CURRENT LIMIT physically.

On a power supply like you have shown, many have a current limiting adjustment
This can be set to limit the current from the power supply to a maximum output
This can save the circuit being powered from "burning up"

That is one purpose of a current limiting

Dave

I think they make it fairly clear in the pdf documentation referenced
http://www.es-france.com/pdf/AX501.pdf?osCsid=552b012b969105dbebe981f664fa19ae
that the supply has active current limiting via the "Current Limit" knob beneath the ammeter.

AX502.jpg

"Active current limiting" means that the regulator compares output current to a set value, set via that knob, and reduces voltage to whatever value will provide only that much current.. An LED indicates when the current limiter has activated.I didn't see mention of "resistivity" in the documentation.

Be aware that some supplies have a substantial capacitor right at the output terminals. If the current limiter controls current into that capacitor, then one could momentarily draw more than limit current from the supply while that capacitor discharges into the load.

old jim

Likes davenn

1. What is a source meter machine?

A source meter machine is a specialized electronic instrument used to measure and control voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits. It combines the functions of a power supply and a multimeter, allowing for precise and accurate measurements of these parameters.

2. What is limit current in a source meter machine?

Limit current, also known as compliance current, is the maximum amount of current that a source meter machine can output. It is the upper limit of the current range that the machine is capable of producing.

3. How is limit current determined in a source meter machine?

The limit current of a source meter machine is determined by the maximum voltage and resistance values that the machine is designed to handle. These values are set by the manufacturer and may vary depending on the specific model of the machine.

4. What is resistivity and how is it measured in a source meter machine?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms per meter (Ω/m) and is dependent on the material's composition and temperature. In a source meter machine, resistivity is typically measured by applying a known voltage and measuring the resulting current, then using Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistivity.

5. How is a source meter machine used in scientific research?

Source meter machines are commonly used in scientific research to precisely control and measure electrical parameters in experiments. They are often used in materials science, nanotechnology, and electronics research to study the properties of various materials and devices, as well as in testing and characterization of electrical components.