Understanding Lorentz Transformations: The Role of \bold \tau

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gyroscope
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lorentz Relativity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Gyroscope
It's just a simple question.
In the Lorentz Transformations what means the variable [itex]\bold \tau[/itex]?

Thanks, I am deducing this transformations for coordinates, but now I come for this [itex]\bold \tau[/itex] and I cannot deduce if I don't know what it is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gyroscope said:
It's just a simple question.
In the Lorentz Transformations what means the variable [itex]\bold \tau[/itex]?
In principle a variable can stand for anything, but it is conventional in relativity for it to stand for the proper time interval, that is the time interval as measured in the local restframe.
 
Yes, it stands for time.
Is it too difficult for an high school student to derive the Lorentz Transformation for time? For x it was very easy. But I am having problems with time.