Understanding Op-Amps: Analyzing Circuits and Exploring their Functions

• Thread starter InuyashaITB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the conversation discussed a particular op-amp and its components, including RL circuits and a totem-pole input stage. The purpose and functionality of these highlighted sections were also questioned. It was explained that the RL circuits act as filters to reduce degeneration at low frequencies, while the totem-pole input stage integrates charge in the circuit capacitance for a larger collector current. The RL parallel circuit on the output also serves to isolate the output driver from the load at high frequencies to prevent oscillation. The conversation concluded with a thank you for the detailed explanation and an offer to ask any further questions.
InuyashaITB
Hello again, Physics Forums.
I was studying this op-amp (no its not homework) and I am not sure if i am analyzing it correctly or not.

test-990_zpsw9suzksm.png

So far that is what I have. I was also wondering what the purpose of these highlighted sections are:
The RL circuits look like filters, but I don't quite understand why?
Also, i understand that the top one is a totem-pole, but I don't really understand what those are

test-990_zpsnyekgsqb.png

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
The input stage has L in parallel with R. For fast signals the R will “degenerate” the differential pair gain, but the inductors will short circuit the resistors and so reduce the degeneration at low frequencies and DC. The roll-over frequency will be when the reactance of 20uH = 30.1 ohms. 30R1 / ( 2π * 20uH) = 240kHz.

The middle section is a voltage to current converter. The current balance between the collectors of Q24 and the +IN transistor, will integrate charge in the circuit capacitance to change the voltage input to Q26. R13 then produces a larger Q25 collector current proportional to the Q26 base voltage. The use of R12 makes Q24 and Q25 a fast darlington transistor.

The RL parallel circuit on the output isolates the output driver from the output load at high frequencies. That prevents output stage load dependent oscillation. Again, the output impedance is low for low frequencies and rolls over to approach 39 ohms above about f = 39R / ( 2π * 4uH) = 1.5MHz.

Likes InuyashaITB
Wow, Thank you for giving such a detailed explanation Baluncore.
If I have any questions i'll make sure to ask here :)

Likes dlgoff

Related to Understanding Op-Amps: Analyzing Circuits and Exploring their Functions

1. What is an Op-Amp and how does it work?

An Op-Amp, short for Operational Amplifier, is an electronic component that is used to amplify and process analog signals. It typically has two inputs and one output, and its main function is to take the difference between the two inputs and amplify it to a higher voltage level at the output. It works by using a complex network of transistors and other electronic components to manipulate the input signals.

2. What parameters should I consider when analyzing an Op-Amp?

When analyzing an Op-Amp, there are several key parameters that should be considered. These include the gain, bandwidth, input and output resistance, and offset voltage. The gain determines how much the input signal will be amplified, while the bandwidth determines the range of frequencies that the Op-Amp can accurately amplify. The input and output resistance affect the overall performance of the Op-Amp, and the offset voltage determines the accuracy of the output signal.

3. How do I choose the right Op-Amp for my application?

Choosing the right Op-Amp for your application depends on several factors such as the required gain, bandwidth, and input/output resistance. It is also important to consider the power supply requirements, temperature range, and cost. It is recommended to consult the Op-Amp's datasheet and carefully compare the specifications to your application's requirements.

4. What are some common circuit configurations using Op-Amps?

There are several common circuit configurations using Op-Amps, including inverting and non-inverting amplifiers, summing amplifiers, and differential amplifiers. Inverting amplifiers have a negative input and produce an output that is the opposite polarity of the input. Non-inverting amplifiers have a positive input and produce an output that is the same polarity as the input. Summing amplifiers combine multiple input signals and produce a single output. Differential amplifiers amplify the difference between two input signals.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my Op-Amp circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with your Op-Amp circuit, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check the connections and make sure they are correct. Next, check the power supply and make sure it is within the required range. You can also check the Op-Amp's datasheet for any specific troubleshooting steps. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with an experienced engineer or seek assistance from the manufacturer.