Understanding Polar Coordinates and the exponential function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of rectangular coordinates and complex numbers to find a point on the complex plane, and the relation between trigonometric functions and the exponential function. It also mentions the derivation of Euler's formula using the Maclaurin series and the conversion of polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates. The conversation concludes with the understanding that any reasonable definition of the complex exponential will relate to trigonometric functions.
jaredogden
I'm reviewing math material for the EIT exam, I'm going over math concepts that should be pretty basic but I feel like there are gaps in my understanding. I understand how we can use rectangular coordinates and complex numbers to find a point on the complex plane. It would follow logically from trig that the rectangular coordinates

z=x+iy
that
z=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ)) being that x=cos(θ) and y=sin(θ)

I also know the definition z=re however why is this definition true? Can anyone explain it to me?

In addition to this it can easily be assumed that since z=re and z=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ)) that e=(cos(θ)+isin(θ)) giving us Euler's formula. My next question comes from exactly that.

How is it that trig functions relate to the exponential function is this just something to accept or is there more underlying causes? Did Euler come up with his equation from the addition of the Maclaurin series of e, sin, and cos; or did he figure this out some other way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
z=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ)) being that x=cos(θ) and y=sin(θ)
There is a factor of "r" missing for x and y.

I also know the definition z=re however why is this definition true? Can anyone explain it to me?
What do you mean "why is this definition true"? Definitions are true because they are defined to be so, but I don't see any definition here.

You don't need a specific formula for the complex exponential function, you can prove the Euler formula and the Wikipedia page should give you an idea how.

mfb said:
There is a factor of "r" missing for x and y.
Sorry I forgot the r.

mfb said:
What do you mean "why is this definition true"? Definitions are true because they are defined to be so, but I don't see any definition here.

I mean how did someone figure out that z=re? Was that realized first so then it led to Euler's formula e = cos(θ)+isin(θ) or was z=re realized from Euler's forumla?

a=5
b=7
How did I figure this out? I did not. I just defined a and b to be 5 and 7.
In a similar way, for an arbitrary z, you can define r and θ such that they are real and re=z. The Euler formula allows to prove this.

It is obvious as the defining relation of an exponential function if

exp(x+y)=exp(x)*exp(y)

and circular functions satisfy

cos(a+b)+i*sin(a+b)=(cos(a)+i*sin(a)*(cos(b)+i*sin(b))

and are therefore exponential.

Euler did manipulate the Maclaurin series. The important thing is any reasonable definition of the complex exponential will relate to trigonometric functions. Any supposed derivation just reveals that fact.

Last edited:
jaredogden said:
Sorry I forgot the r.
I mean how did someone figure out that z=re? Was that realized first so then it led to Euler's formula e = cos(θ)+isin(θ) or was z=re realized from Euler's forumla?
Use power series. The McLaurin series for ex is
[tex]e^x= 1+ x+ \frac{x^2}{2}+ \frac{x^3}{3!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \frac{x^n}{n!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

Now, replace x with ix:
[tex]e^{ix}= 1+ ix+ \frac{(ix)^2}{2}+ \frac{(ix)^3}{3!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \frac{(ix)^n}{n!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
Now, it is easy to see that i2= -1, i3= -i, i4= 1, etc. s0
[tex]e^{ix}= 1+ ix- \frac{x^2}{2}- i\frac{x^3}{3!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ i^n\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]
and, separating real and imaginary parts,
[tex]e^{ix}= \left(1- \frac{x^2}{2}+ \frac{x^4}{4!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot\right)[/tex][tex]+ i\left(x- \frac{x^3}{3!}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot\right)[/tex]
which are just the McLaurin series for cos(x) and sin(x):
[tex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/tex]

We then have ez= ex+ iy= exeiy= ex(cos(y)+ i sin(y)).

Of course, the fact that [itex]z= x+ iy= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] comes immediately from conversion of polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates: [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex].

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance and an angle. In contrast to Cartesian coordinates, which use a horizontal (x) and vertical (y) axis, polar coordinates use a radial distance (r) and an angular coordinate (θ).

2. How do you convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the equations x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). To convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the equations r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x).

3. What is the relationship between polar coordinates and the exponential function?

The exponential function can be expressed in polar coordinates as r = e^θ, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. This relationship can be used to graph the exponential function in a polar coordinate system.

4. How are complex numbers represented in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, complex numbers are represented using the magnitude and phase angle of the number. The magnitude is equivalent to the radial distance (r) and the phase angle is equivalent to the angular coordinate (θ).

5. What are some practical applications of polar coordinates and the exponential function?

Polar coordinates and the exponential function have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to describe the motion of a planet around a star, model alternating current in electrical circuits, and solve differential equations, among many other uses.