Understanding Quaternion Transformations for 3D Vectors

• I
  • Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a 3-vector using a quaternion. The speaker tried to prove that the transformation must follow the formula ##v' = q^{-1}vq##, but encountered difficulties. Another speaker suggests that this transformation is a natural operation of Lie groups and is related to the identification of the 3-sphere with unitary quaternions. The original speaker agrees and thanks the other speaker for reminding them. The conversation also mentions a result that connects quaternion multiplication and 3D rotation matrices.
Tio Barnabe
I'd like to show why a 3-vector ##v## transforming using a quartenion ##q## must transform as ##v' = q^{-1}vq##.

I tried showing that ##v^{\dagger}v = v'^{\ \dagger}v'## as long as ##v'## is given by the above transformation, whereas ##v' = qv## doesn't transform such that the inner product is invariant. However, this "proof" doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
I'd like to show why a 3-vector ##v## transforming using a quartenion ##q## must transform as ##v' = q^{-1}vq##.

I tried showing that ##v^{\dagger}v = v'^{\ \dagger}v'## as long as ##v'## is given by the above transformation, whereas ##v' = qv## doesn't transform such that the inner product is invariant. However, this "proof" doesn't work.
What do you mean by "must"? Without any conditions, which enforces this necessity, the vector doesn't have to behave anyhow. You may transform it in whatever and in which way ever you like to. We have a natural identification of the 3-sphere with the unitary quaternions ##\mathbb{S}^3 \cong U(1,\mathbb{H})## which connects the two, but there is still the question: "must" because of "what"?

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by "must"?
"must" because of "what"?
Hmm, I thought it must be so, because I have seen it on several papers which deals with such transformations. But, I certainly agree with you in that
Without any conditions, which enforces this necessity, the vector doesn't have to behave anyhow
Thanks for remembering me.
fresh_42 said:
We have a natural identification of the 3-sphere with the unitary quaternions ##\mathbb{S}^3 \cong U(1,\mathbb{H})## which connects the two
Would this relation provide us with a clue of how the vector should transform?

Tio Barnabe said:
Would this relation provide us with a clue of how the vector should transform?
Conjugation with group elements on its tangent space at ##1## is the adjoint representation of a Lie group on its Lie algebra. This can be generalized a bit further (principal bundles). But basically it is the map ##\operatorname{Ad}\, : \,G \longrightarrow GL(\mathfrak{g})## defined by ##g \mapsto (\,X \mapsto gXg^{-1}\,)## induced by the conjugation in the group, which is a very natural operation of any group on itself, so of Lie groups as well. Since the tangent space of ##\mathbb{S}^3## is ##\mathbb{R}^3## and ##\mathbb{S}^3## the Lie group of unit quaternions, we have in ##\operatorname{Ad}## the desired operation by conjugation. This can be viewed as a "must" in the sense, that it is part of standard Lie theory.

Likes jim mcnamara
I'm not sure what the OP is getting at, but I'm guessing something like this result. For quaternion q and vector v,

(q.{0,v}.q-1)/(q.q) = {0,R(q).v}
(quaternion multiplication), (inner product), (inner product) {0,v} is append 0 to vector v to make a quaternion.

where R(q) is the 3D rotation matrix composed from quaternion q.

Related to Understanding Quaternion Transformations for 3D Vectors

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude. Vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a mathematical object that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In other words, a scalar is just a numerical value, while a vector is a quantity that also includes information about its direction.

3. How are vectors and quaternions related?

Quaternions are a type of mathematical object that extends the concept of vectors to four dimensions. They are used to represent rotations in 3D space and have applications in computer graphics and robotics. Vectors can also be used to represent rotations, but quaternions have certain advantages such as being more compact and easier to manipulate mathematically.

4. What are some common operations performed on vectors and quaternions?

Some common operations performed on vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot product (also known as scalar product). On the other hand, common operations on quaternions include multiplication, conjugation, and normalization. Both vectors and quaternions can also be rotated or transformed using various mathematical operations.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors and quaternions?

Vectors and quaternions have many real-world applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. Some examples include using vectors to represent forces and velocities in physics simulations, and using quaternions to represent rotations and orientations of objects in computer graphics and robotics applications.