1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding RC and RL circuits

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone. I am having trouble understanding RC AND RL circuits. Specifically the charging and discharging of circuits. The current and charge that goes through the inductor or capacitor at various time(At time=0 or some time after the switch is closed or a long time after the switch is closed).
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi there! :smile:

I'm sorry to hear you're driedup … you need to get a nice little bowl like mine :wink:
    Inductors are difficult. Capacitors are easier.

Concentrate on understanding the process with just a capacitor first.

See the PF Library or wikipedia …

what part is worrying you? :smile:

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I usually just remember the following rule of thumb:

At DC a capacitor is an open circuit and an inductor is a short circuit.

The corolary is that for very high frequencies a capacitor is a short and an inductor is an open circuit.

So when you first throw the switch you apply the high-frequency corolary. The capacitor is a short so all of the voltage is across the resistor and the current is given by Ohm's law. After a while it settles down and you apply the DC rule. The capacitor is an open circuit so all the voltage is across it and there is no current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook