Understanding Solutions of ODEs: y' = -(y^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a solution of the equation "y' = -(y^2)". After some discussion, it is concluded that the solution can either be 0 or decreasing, depending on whether y is identically 0 or not. The first derivative of the function gives its slope, and by plotting the slope through points on the xy plane, one can get a better understanding of the solutions.
mt1200
Hi Physics forums.

I saw this question in a book, I'm not asking for the answer and this is not a homework, I just don't know how to figure out this:

What can you say about a solution of the equation "y' = -(y^2)"just by looking at the differential equation?

I checked at the book's answer and it says " Its either 0 or its decreasing", how did they figured that out?, I see that ODE and I can't think in anything, how do you figure out what an ODE means just by looking at it?.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first deriviative gives you the slope of the solution functions at every point in the xy plane. A good way to get a feeling for what the solutions do is to use the given ODE to find that slope. You can plot a short line with the slope of the solutions though points on the xy plane this will give you a pretty good picture of what the solutions do.

Thanks, that means that as the function's first derivative is negative, its slope its also negative and therefore the function its decrecent!, that makes sense, but how can it be also zero?

Last edited:
welcome to pf!

hi mt1200! welcome to pf! :smile:

if y is identically zero (y = 0 for all x), then y' = 0 = -02 = -y2 :wink:

If y is identically 0 then "-y^2" is always 0 so y' is 0 and that just says y is a constant which is consistent with y= 0.

If y is not identically 0, then y^2 is positive, -y^2 is negative, y' is negative so y is decreasing.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equation. It is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. How is an ODE different from other types of equations?

An ODE involves one or more unknown functions and their derivatives, while other types of equations may only involve known constants and variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of ODEs?

ODEs are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects.

4. Are there different types of ODEs?

Yes, there are different types of ODEs based on the order (number of derivatives involved) and linearity (whether the unknown function and its derivatives are raised to a power) of the equation.

5. How do you solve an ODE?

There are various methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and using specific techniques for different types of equations. Advanced techniques such as numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.