Understanding the Euclidean Algorithm for Finding GCDs in Q[sqrt 3]

• Thread starter squelchy451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd
In summary, The conversation discusses finding the GCD of two numbers in the number field Q[sqrt 3]. The participants consider using the Euclidean algorithm, but then question its applicability to algebraic integers that are also rational integers. They also discuss the form of numbers in Q[sqrt 3] and the use of quadratic integers in finding factors. It is suggested to review the argument for the Euclidean algorithm to gain confidence in its use.
squelchy451
Hi.

I need to find the GCD of two numbers in Q[sqrt 3]. Let's suppose these two numbers are 12 and 35. How would you go about finding the GCD of those in Q[sqrt 3]?

thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
Is Z[sqrt 3] a unique factorization domain? (Or are the integers [itex]\mathbb{Z}[(1 + \sqrt{3}) / 2][/itex]?) I confess I haven't memorized my small number fields.

Anyways, what ways might you find the GCD over the integers? Would any of those work in this number field?

Q[sqrt 3] is all the numbers in the form (a + b sqrt3)/2 where a and b are rational integers, both even or both odd.

I COULD use the euclidean algorithm, but I wouldn't know where to start, as these numbers are rational primes, and I need to find solutions in Q[sqrt 3]

Sure, 12 is a rational integer. But that doesn't matter, does it? What part of the Euclidean algorithm over Q(sqrt 3) prevents it from working with algebraic integers that happen to also be rational integers?

I know what you are trying to say but in terms of rational numbers, there are no factors in common between 24 and 49, but according to this problem, there might be a factor that is a quadratic integer in Q[sqrt3]. The question is which numbers do we know is a factor or not? Since 3 is not congruent to 1 sqrt3, the integers are in the form a + b sqrt3, where a and b are rational integers.

There are some typos in your post...

If you are unsure about the Euclidean algorithm (or any other method for finding GCDs), then why not review the argument why it works? That way, you will either gain confidence that it works, or find a specific reason why it should not.

1. What is the definition of GCD in Q[sqrt 3]?

The greatest common divisor (GCD) in Q[sqrt 3] is the largest number that can divide evenly into two or more numbers in the field of numbers that includes all rational numbers and irrational numbers with a square root of 3.

2. How is the GCD calculated in Q[sqrt 3]?

The GCD in Q[sqrt 3] is calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves finding the remainder of a division between two numbers and repeating this process until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

3. Can the GCD in Q[sqrt 3] be negative?

No, the GCD in Q[sqrt 3] is always a positive number. This is because the GCD is defined as the largest number that can divide evenly into two or more numbers, and negative numbers cannot divide evenly into positive numbers.

4. What is the role of Q[sqrt 3] in finding the GCD?

Q[sqrt 3] is a field of numbers that includes all rational numbers and irrational numbers with a square root of 3. This field allows for the calculation of GCDs for numbers that involve square roots of 3, which cannot be done in other fields like Q (rational numbers only).

5. Can the GCD in Q[sqrt 3] be a decimal or irrational number?

Yes, the GCD in Q[sqrt 3] can be a decimal or irrational number. This is because the field of Q[sqrt 3] includes all rational and irrational numbers with a square root of 3, so the GCD can take on any value within this field.