How do you prove the law of sines and law of cosines?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter manbush
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laws Sine/cosine
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 14K views
manbush
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Law of Sine = Sin A/a = Sin B /b = Sin c/c

Law of Cosines
a^2=b^2 + c^2 - 2bc Cos A

I used to know how to "prove" both of these laws but I haven't touched math for years.

Can someone "prove" them or "explain" what these laws exactly mean?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As for the law of sines:
Use the sine law for the AREA of triangles in a clever way!

As for the cosine law:
Make a triangle with acute angles, draw its height h, so that you have two right-angled triangles.
Fiddle around with the Pythogorean theorem until you stumble upon the law of cosine
 
Sorry, I don't understand either. I been away from math too long. I know I could just use these formulas but I want to see the "proof".

Is it possible you could show me an example of proving them?
 
My friend taught me this...dont' quite remember, i would appreciate any help :D