Understanding the Proof for Uniform Continuity on Compact Intervals

In summary, this statement will lead to proof that continuity on a compact interval means uniform continuity. However this is not proven yet so don't use that fact in your reasoning.
Coffee_
I would appreciate it if someone could explain the steps in the reasoning of the following statement. This is not a homework assignment or anything.

Let ##U \subseteq R^{n}## be compact and ##f:U\to R## a continuous function on ##U##. However f is not uniformly continuous.
Then there exists an ##\epsilon>0## and sequences ##a_n## and ##b_n## such that if ## || a_n - b_n || < \frac{1}{n} ## then ##||f(a_n) - f(b_n) \ge \epsilon##.

This statement will lead to proof that continuity on a compact interval means uniform continuity. However this is not proven yet so don't use that fact in your reasoning. Purely based on the definitions of uniform continuity.

Physics news on Phys.org
So try to prove that any function ##f:U\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m## (for any domain ##U##) is uniform continuous if and only if for each two sequences ##(a_n)_n## and ##(b_n)_n## in ##U## holds that if ##\| a_n - b_n\|\rightarrow 0## then ##\|f(a_n) - f(b_n)\|\rightarrow 0##.

Pick a random ##\epsilon>0##. And let ##a_n## and ##b_n## be two sequences in ##U## so that ##||a_n - b_n||## converges.

Uniform continuity implies there exists a ##\delta## so that as long ##||a_n - b_n|| < \delta ## it follows that ##||f(a_n)-f(b_n)||< \epsilon##

Since ##||a_n - b_n||## converges I can always find a certain ##N## so that for ##n \ge N## holds that ##||a_n - b_n|| < \delta ##

So to summarize, I receive an ##\epsilon## , which in turn returns a unique ##\delta##, and I can always find an ##N## so that for ##n \ge N## : ##||f(a_n)-f(b_n)||< \epsilon## which proves it one way.

Suggestions for the other direction of proof? It looks like it's a harder one. By the way I totally get the statement now.

Use contradiction. Assume that ##f## is not uniform continuous and use that to construct sequences ##(a_n)_n## and ##(b_n)_n##.

Hello, I don't think this is worth posting another thread so I hope it's alright if I just ask here.

A similar problem to the last discussed matter. I need to show that these two statements are equivalent (note it's not about uniform continuity anymore though!)

1) ##f:U->V## is continuous on some open domain ##D##

2) For any sequence where ##x_n## converges to ##x## on ##D## , the sequence ##f(x_n)## converges to ##f(x)## on ##V##.

I tried for a bit with assuming that ##f## is not continuous like you mentioned for the previous problem but don't get far.

i think you can do this alone. the easy direction is 1 implies 2, assuming you are using the epsilon delta definition of continuity.

Yeah 1 implies 2 was no problem its the other way.

To pass from arbitrary e>0 to a sequence, one usually uses the fact that 1/n --> 0.

I think you need 1st countability of the space to go from 2 to 1, or you need something like the space being a sequential space. I mean, this is not true of all spaces.

WWGD said:
I think you need 1st countability of the space to go from 2 to 1, or you need something like the space being a sequential space. I mean, this is not true of all spaces.

We are working in ##\mathbb{R}^n##...

OK, sorry, I did not see that. Feel free to delete my previous post if that helps PF.

1. What is the definition of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function on a given interval. A function is said to be uniformly continuous if for any two points in the interval, the difference in the function values can be made arbitrarily small by making the interval sufficiently small.

2. How does uniform continuity differ from continuity?

While continuity describes the behavior of a function at a single point, uniform continuity describes the behavior of a function across an entire interval. A function can be continuous at a point but not uniformly continuous on an interval.

3. What is the importance of the uniform continuity statement?

The uniform continuity statement is important because it allows us to make precise mathematical statements about the behavior of functions on intervals. It is also a useful tool in proving the existence of solutions to differential equations and in analyzing the convergence of sequences and series.

4. How is uniform continuity related to Lipschitz continuity?

Uniform continuity is a special case of Lipschitz continuity, where the Lipschitz constant is allowed to vary across the interval. In other words, a function that is uniformly continuous is also Lipschitz continuous, but the converse is not necessarily true.

5. Can uniform continuity be applied to functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the concept of uniform continuity can be extended to functions with multiple variables. In this case, the function must exhibit uniform continuity along any path in the domain, rather than just along a single interval. This is known as uniform continuity in all directions.